Thread: Finally making progress with my collection.

Finally making progress with my collection.

I retired over a year ago and decided to sell some of my centerfire pistols to focus on starting a spring air pistol collection I could enjoy in my back yard. I have been concentrating on old school blued pistols that look like firearms. I just made major progress today by getting a Haenel 28R. A Haenel 28 has been on my list but a repeater was a great bonus. Looks to be in great shape but is not in my hands as yet. Fingers crossed.
    So far in the last year I have acquired:

1. Walther LP53 like new in the box, 1955 smooth finish
    2. Hy-Score 800 like new in the box probably 1950, no engraving.
    3. Beeman Feinwerkbau 65 with wood sport grips, like new in the box
    4. EMGE Zenit excellent condition
    5. Now the Haenel 28R with fingers crossed

Actually not sure where I go from here, only interested in spring powered pistols. I would love to have the Tell Model III as the show piece of the pre-war part of my collection but the reality is I probably will never obtain that one. A pre-war Webley is on my list if the condition and price is right. Have a English made Hurricane but don't really consider it a real collectible.

Being in the USA puts me at quite a disadvantage as it seems like England has so many more of these old guns floating around. I find the quality of the prewar German guns to be awesome.
    Last edited by 45flint; 07-10-2016 at 07:46 PM.

45flint,

That Haenel is definitely a sharp one!
    Are you in Wooster Ohio? If so, consider a trip to the Hickory, NC airgun show next week. It offers a good mix of collectible oldies in among the modern 'shooter' items. You could see and handle a variety of pistols, and just maybe fall in love with some gun you hadn't thought of before.

Hope to see you there...
    Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    45flint,

That Haenel is definitely a sharp one!
    Are you in Wooster Ohio? If so, consider a trip to the Hickory, NC airgun show next week. It offers a good mix of collectible oldies in among the modern 'shooter' items. You could see and handle a variety of pistols, and just maybe fall in love with some gun you hadn't thought of before.

Hope to see you there...
    Don R.
    Yes it's Ohio and I am going to North Carolina to visit my son next week. When and where is the show? Thanks Steve

A dedicated airgun show?
    Oddly we don't have them over here.
    With one or two small exceptions.

Our guns tend to be mixed in with Game Fairs and Arms Fairs which means there is a lot of stuff we don't want or can't have on display.

Have fun at yours.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes it's Ohio and I am going to North Carolina to visit my son next week. When and where is the show? Thanks Steve
    Details here Steve

Edit: See also this AVA post here.
    Last edited by Garvin; 08-10-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I retired over a year ago and decided to sell some of my centerfire pistols to focus on starting a spring air pistol collection I could enjoy in my back yard. I have been concentrating on old school blued pistols that look like firearms. I just made major progress today by getting a Haenel 28R. A Haenel 28 has been on my list but a repeater was a great bonus. Looks to be in great shape but is not in my hands as yet. Fingers crossed.

Actually not sure where I go from here, only interested in spring powered pistols. I would love to have the Tell Model III as the show piece of the pre-war part of my collection but the reality is I probably will never obtain that one. A pre-war Webley is on my list if the condition and price is right. Have a English made Hurricane but don't really consider it a real collectible.

Being in the USA puts me at quite a disadvantage as it seems like England has so many more of these old guns floating around. I find the quality of the prewar German guns to be awesome.

Hi Steve,

As you rightly say, vintage spring powered air pistols are far easier to source here in the UK than would be possible in the USA.

I first started collecting spring air pistols when the ownership of breech loading pistols was prohibited in the UK after 1995.

Originally, I had intended limiting my collection to Webley models, but this soon led to other British and German makes being included. I have a Tell 3 which is in reasonable condition and was consequently bought at a reasonable price. A nice boxed example recently sold at auction here for over £3000 when costs had been added to the hammer price.

I would have thought your best bet was to look for things from the Webley range as these are of 'firearms' quality and were exported to the USA during their manufacturing period.

Good luck with your search.

Brian

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Welcome to the world of air pistol collecting 45Flint! You have the nucleus of a very nice collection there, but be warned – it is highly addictive.

It is nice to have some sort of theme to your collecting, and you already seem to be homing in on solid quality vintage items. The great thing about air pistol collecting is that there are so many varied and ingenious cocking and loading designs, so why not try to get at least one example of as many of these as possible? Some that come to mind, which still keep within your current parameters, would be any of the earlier Webleys, the Warrior, Abas Major, Acvoke, Targaire, and a good quality early break barrel pistol, such as the Diana Target, EM-GE Herkules or BSF S20.

Happy collecting.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky

Hi 45flint, l am sure you will find a good few of the pistols you are looking for on the gunbroker auction site as they are in on your side of the pond, so getting them posted to you will be no problem, and you are more likey to get the rare Webley pistols that was made for the USA market with the nice checkered grips on there. plus a good few German pistols as well. as most of the sellers do not want to post abroad.
    ATB
    Mick.

I was surprised in my inquiry about a Tell pistol in England that mailing to the US seems to be a expensive proposition? Here is US there is no regulation on air pistols and they go regular mail. Maybe you guys in England just don't want your collectibles leaving the country? Lol.

No question my best bet over here are early blued Webleys. I just am picky on condition and price.

I am close two air gun shows. Finley Ohio and Kalamazoo Michigan. Will not miss them next year.
    Last edited by 45flint; 08-10-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Steve,

I see Garvin has already given you links to the Hickory show info - you can Google to get specific location for the the Fairgrounds, which is on US 70 east of Hickory proper toward Conover. The show is bigger in size than Findlay, with the advantage of an area outside where you can shoot. It would offer you an opportunity to see in person a variety of stuff that may help you define your preferences as well as a good chance to buy, usually at very decent prices.

Y'all come over!

Don R.