Thread: Beginning BP shooting.....

Beginning BP shooting.....

is something that just about ANYBODY could afford. I was in one of my local dealers today when a lucky guy bought a beautiful Uberti .36cal revolver, truly immaculate in every respect, that did not look as though it had ever been shot once.

The bore was mint, the finish all you might expect of a Uberti and the grip wood was unmarked by any dings or blemishes. The colour case hardening was a riot of vivid shades, just the way it should be.

He paid just under eighty pounds for this great little revolver, and for a little over a hundred, he could be shooting this piece today.

My point is that you can start to have fun shooting an historically accurate fun handgun for not a lot of money.

More people should give it a try....

tac

PS - If you are the guy, and you are reading this, get yourself the latest version of the Lyman Black Powder handbook - it's worth its weight in weight.

I'll second that Tac - And here another, although double the price it's still not expensive and with cast balls the running costs are very low.

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20891

Well, I'm going to drag this thread back into the sunlight rather than starting something new.

I've got a few questions regarding the most user-friendly way to start heading along the BP road.

I've got a typical background in related subjects one might say: approaching middle age, have previously shot in both the (Air) cadets and in the Reserves (qualified Loader on Challenger II), and have usually had at least one airgun of some form. Dabble in airgun comps but nothing serious (too many other hobbies), and am a paid-up member of a local NSRA affiliated airgun club (Castleton HTC). I'd like to get into some BP target shooting (rifle/pistol), and maybe try some clay pigeon as well for variety. I enjoy (and support) the work done by Rob on British Muzzleloaders and also BN at Cap & Ball, so that's the sort of thing I enjoy. I've got a clean history, and hold Mil145 clearance for working on military jet engines, so I don't think there should be any clearance/security issues.

So assuming the first step is to visit/join a suitable official club, what would my next steps be? How long might this process take (I'm expecting around a year). What are the rules on gun-safes? My house is a new build and hence primarily composed of plasterboard! Should I aim for an FAC first of all, or go for a SGC for a musket/shotgun as a stepping stone? Is it practical going for a BP licence, or is it viable to use non-BP powders to avoid this?

Many thanks,
    Gavin

I have a copy of the firearms security handbook as published by the home office in 2005, on PDF, if anyone wants it? I can email through your username if you have your email address in the profile section
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I have a copy of the firearms security handbook as published by the home office in 2005, on PDF, if anyone wants it? I can email through your username if you have your email address in the profile section
    That, Sir, is a great idea and a kind offer, too.

I'd be very grateful for a copy.

tac

Sent 👍
    Donald

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinfdavies View Post
    Well, I'm going to drag this thread back into the sunlight rather than starting something new.

I've got a few questions regarding the most user-friendly way to start heading along the BP road.

I've got a typical background in related subjects one might say: approaching middle age, have previously shot in both the (Air) cadets and in the Reserves (qualified Loader on Challenger II), and have usually had at least one airgun of some form. Dabble in airgun comps but nothing serious (too many other hobbies), and am a paid-up member of a local NSRA affiliated airgun club (Castleton HTC). I'd like to get into some BP target shooting (rifle/pistol), and maybe try some clay pigeon as well for variety. I enjoy (and support) the work done by Rob on British Muzzleloaders and also BN at Cap & Ball, so that's the sort of thing I enjoy. I've got a clean history, and hold Mil145 clearance for working on military jet engines, so I don't think there should be any clearance/security issues.

So assuming the first step is to visit/join a suitable official club, what would my next steps be? How long might this process take (I'm expecting around a year). What are the rules on gun-safes? My house is a new build and hence primarily composed of plasterboard! Should I aim for an FAC first of all, or go for a SGC for a musket/shotgun as a stepping stone? Is it practical going for a BP licence, or is it viable to use non-BP powders to avoid this?

Many thanks,
    Gavin
    Mil145 clearance (whatever that is) is irrelevant but clean history will help lots. Plod will anyway do the full "drains up" on everyone, but not to worry - it's painless.

You could consider joining a local branch of the MLAGB if there is one near to you. I have found that many Firearms Cubs do not understand muzzle loading very well and some have really funny attitudes, but in the MLAGB you will be surrounded by sympathetic and helpful expertise.

For me it's BP all the way - substitutes are just not as nice to use and I find clean up nastier, but plenty do use substitutes and are happy to do so. You will not be allowed to use BP on an indoor range though - massive fire/explosion hazard. Others have already given good advice on the licence requirements for BP - it's not difficult if you also apply for FAC or SGC for muzzleloaders and this will tick the "Why do you want an explosives Licence" box. Sound advice also given on the location of BP dealers - can be a fair drive away but if you are in MLAGB there will be plenty of folk who know where to get it and often a club will band together for bulk buy - our last purchase was for 32x1kg tubs of Vesuvit pistol powder at (IIRC) £22 per kilo which is v cheap - a member drove up to Market Harborough to collect it from the importer - surprisingly you can transport up to 50kg of BP in your car with no special arrangements needed. Note that for flintlocks you will need BP at least for priming - BP substitutes do not work in the pan.

It is possible to find adequate fixings in stud walls - both of my safes are secured to stud walls. I used a stud finder to be sure that I screw into studs, and put a couple through the floor into joists as well (the location of nails is a giveaway for the joists - just be sure there is no plumbing under there).

I don't think there is much benefit in going into S1 (firearms) by first going into S2 (shotguns and smooth muzzle loaders, even if you will be using single ball or bullet in the musket) - it will take more time to do it all twice. Co-terminous S1 and S2 certificates are slightly cheaper than separately so I would apply for both together.

BP clays is haaaard! I think learning to shoot clays with a muzzleloader could be a very frustrating experience without first getting some skill with a cartridge shottie.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    That, Sir, is a great idea and a kind offer, too.

I'd be very grateful for a copy.

tac

It's all here https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-handbook-2005
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Thank you, Sir.

tac

Cheers for the advice.

Mil145 is indeed not related, but it covers all the same sort of security issues. It is the same security level as I needed when in the reserves, ridiculously detailed! Hence since I've passed that, I should be ok history/criminal-record wise for an FAC etc.

I'll have a good read of the security book. Keep me busy on my night shifts!

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Mil145 clearance (whatever that is) is irrelevant but clean history will help lots. Plod will anyway do the full "drains up" on everyone, but not to worry - it's painless.

You could consider joining a local branch of the MLAGB if there is one near to you. I have found that many Firearms Cubs do not understand muzzle loading very well and some have really funny attitudes, but in the MLAGB you will be surrounded by sympathetic and helpful expertise.

For me it's BP all the way - substitutes are just not as nice to use and I find clean up nastier, but plenty do use substitutes and are happy to do so. You will not be allowed to use BP on an indoor range though - massive fire/explosion hazard. Others have already given good advice on the licence requirements for BP - it's not difficult if you also apply for FAC or SGC for muzzleloaders and this will tick the "Why do you want an explosives Licence" box. Sound advice also given on the location of BP dealers - can be a fair drive away but if you are in MLAGB there will be plenty of folk who know where to get it and often a club will band together for bulk buy - our last purchase was for 32x1kg tubs of Vesuvit pistol powder at (IIRC) £22 per kilo which is v cheap - a member drove up to Market Harborough to collect it from the importer - surprisingly you can transport up to 50kg of BP in your car with no special arrangements needed. Note that for flintlocks you will need BP at least for priming - BP substitutes do not work in the pan.

It is possible to find adequate fixings in stud walls - both of my safes are secured to stud walls. I used a stud finder to be sure that I screw into studs, and put a couple through the floor into joists as well (the location of nails is a giveaway for the joists - just be sure there is no plumbing under there).

I don't think there is much benefit in going into S1 (firearms) by first going into S2 (shotguns and smooth muzzle loaders, even if you will be using single ball or bullet in the musket) - it will take more time to do it all twice. Co-terminous S1 and S2 certificates are slightly cheaper than separately so I would apply for both together.

BP clays is haaaard! I think learning to shoot clays with a muzzleloader could be a very frustrating experience without first getting some skill with a cartridge shottie.
    Look up the tondu target shooting club. We're very near Bridgend and not a million miles from you. You're welcome to pay us a visit and we can answer all your questions for getting started.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by gavinfdavies View Post

Many thanks,

Gavin
    Look up the tondu target shooting club. We're very near Bridgend and not a million miles from you. You're welcome to pay us a visit and we can answer all your questions for getting started.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

At present I've been chatting with the Bristol ML club, but will look up your one too. Cheers