Well, I'm going to drag this thread back into the sunlight rather than starting something new.

I've got a few questions regarding the most user-friendly way to start heading along the BP road.

I've got a typical background in related subjects one might say: approaching middle age, have previously shot in both the (Air) cadets and in the Reserves (qualified Loader on Challenger II), and have usually had at least one airgun of some form. Dabble in airgun comps but nothing serious (too many other hobbies), and am a paid-up member of a local NSRA affiliated airgun club (Castleton HTC). I'd like to get into some BP target shooting (rifle/pistol), and maybe try some clay pigeon as well for variety. I enjoy (and support) the work done by Rob on British Muzzleloaders and also BN at Cap & Ball, so that's the sort of thing I enjoy. I've got a clean history, and hold Mil145 clearance for working on military jet engines, so I don't think there should be any clearance/security issues.

So assuming the first step is to visit/join a suitable official club, what would my next steps be? How long might this process take (I'm expecting around a year). What are the rules on gun-safes? My house is a new build and hence primarily composed of plasterboard! Should I aim for an FAC first of all, or go for a SGC for a musket/shotgun as a stepping stone? Is it practical going for a BP licence, or is it viable to use non-BP powders to avoid this?

Many thanks,
Gavin