Thread: Valuation please on William Baker air rifle

Valuation please on William Baker air rifle

Bought this air rifle about thirty years ago, now thinning my collection but have no idea of the value of this rifle as it's is one of a kind. Any ideas on its value will be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Mac

baker

Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post
    Bought this air rifle about thirty years ago, now thinning my collection but have no idea of the value of this rifle as it's is one of a kind. Any ideas on its value will be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Mac

£1000 maybe more, and maybe a lot more, put it through holts!
    eric

Hi Mac,

This is not the kind of item you can look back upon and compare realised prices, so auction is probably the way to go. However, taking fees into consideration, if a collector were to offer you a sum around or in excess of £1000, I'd be inclined to accept.

Kind regards,

John

Hello,

Although similar in appearance to other air rifles from the same period, I can't say I have ever come across one of these obviously very rare air rifles.

I would agree with both the auction option and the estimated values posted above. I'm sure Danny (Garvin) would welcome the opportunity to include a picture of the rifle in his excellent Vintage Airgun Gallery if you were agreeable.

Regards

Brian

Thank you all for your thoughts on the valuation of my Baker, I myself agree with putting it in to auction. Yes Danny can use the photo or I can take him a better one.
    Mac

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post
    Thank you all for your thoughts on the valuation of my Baker, I myself agree with putting it in to auction. Yes Danny can use the photo or I can take him a better one.
    Mac
    Probably this is still the only one known example, and John Atkins wrote a very detailed article about this rifle, including its patents, in the September 2008 Airgunner magazine.

This is definitely one for the connoisseur of early 1900's British air rifles, and could fetch more than £1500 if two collectors were after it.

When I bought this rifle at an evening auction at the Punch Bowl Bridgnorth it was described as a Greener type air rifle. I bid against Dennis Hiller who dropped out at £30. I had no idea what the make was. I sent a photo to John Atkin who identified it as one made to the Cummins patent.
    Mac

Thanks Brian and Mac. I would like to add this amazing rifle to the gallery.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.