Thread: cleaning taploader barrel without removing tap

cleaning taploader barrel without removing tap

How do you clean yr taploaders barrels without removing tap?
    ATB,
    yana

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I have used a cleaning rod (brass - not steel or alloy) - you know the length of the barrel and tap and mark it on the rod - you need to watch you don't push beyond ( I bind some electricians tape around the rod at the correct distance to prevent it pushing into the muzzle - but remember, the muzzle on the later Airsporters are bigger than .22!) and into the transfer port as anything will be pushed inside.

Open the tap after you have cleaned the barrel a few times with new lint on the rod until you are happy it’s clear - clean inside the tap with a cotton bud. (cheap as chips)
    Finish off with felt cleaning pellets - shooting them down the barrel into a safe stop.

Well that's what I have done and it seems to work for me.
    Others may suggest a different or better way.

I prefer to remove the loading tap assembly as it makes it all so much easier - just be careful you don’t align the tap detent spring/ball with the transfer port on removing the tap - don't ask me how I know that is possible!

Of course, all the above relates to Airsporters, but should work for other 'tap loaders'?

Frequent use of the cleaning pellets after every so many shots (50?) helps to keep things clean!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

I've got a brass rod with a brass wood screw attached to the end. I cut off the screw's head, bored a hole in it to fit the brass rod, then soldered the two together. I put a cigarette filter in the tap then close it, drop the rod down the barrel and screw it into the filter, then pull through. Seems to work well and is convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    I've got a brass rod with a brass wood screw attached to the end. I cut off the screw's head, bored a hole in it to fit the brass rod, then soldered the two together. I put a cigarette filter in the tap then close it, drop the rod down the barrel and screw it into the filter, then pull through. Seems to work well and is convenient.
    Clever!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    I suppose you could do the same with a VFG rod kit and a VFG .22 felt
    BASC

The cleaning rod I used to have was a very old one that had a slotted end in which you put a strip of lint with a drop of Bore cleaning oil on - I don't remember where I got it - but I loaned it out to someone and didn't get it back!
    I guess I will have to get a replacement modern one as I have just been using the felt cleaning pellets over the last few years - they seemed to be doing the job - I probably don't shoot enough these days sadly but I enjoy ownership of my rifles anyway.
    Must get to the range again!

P.S. a .22 bore snake would probably be quite effective too - but you would have to remove the tap to use it!

atb
    ASM

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    I suppose you could do the same with a VFG rod kit and a VFG .22 felt
    I thought about that, but the vfg rod uses an aluminium screw-on stopper to hold the felt in place (on return strokes). I dislike that. And without the stopper the felt probably gets stuck in the barrel

I now consider using a wool 'brush'for a rod.
    ATB,
    yana