Thread: Expanding rifle ammo/bullets to be moved back to S1

Expanding rifle ammo/bullets to be moved back to S1

House of Lords latest amendments to the Policing and Crime Bill includes these of interest to sporting shooters:

1) A proposal to change the blanket 'ban' on expanding to only apply to ammo used in pistols. I guess that would leave .357 carbine users in the lurch.

2) Automatic extension of expired certificates for 8 weeks if police haven’t issued a new one.

Apparently they have government support as they originated from Baroness Williams.

If you're into tjis sort of thing, it can be found here http://www.publications.parliament.u...5-I%28c%29.pdf

Labour peer amendments are looking for ever more restrictions and full-cost recovery of fees (which is already in place) and automatic revocation of the FAC of anyone who has a firearm stolen from them plus a lifetime ban on firearm ownership imposed.
    Labour clearly believe that it's fine to punish the victim of a crime rather than the criminal.

Further reading here http://www.publications.parliament.u...55/17055-I.pdf

Comments and opinion here https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com...nges/#comments
    To destroy a people, you must first sever their roots. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

'Pistol' bullets is another crap vague term which will end up with some poor sod getting prosecuted and a Judge having to decide what it means. *EVERY* 'rifle' calibre upto 50 bmg is available in a pistol

what on earth is the point or justification for punishing an FAC holder for having their firearms stolen?!? would they do the same for driving licenses if a car got stolen? there is no logic to it!
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Amendments

The proposed ban only applies to firearms lost through the "negligence" of the owner....more money for the lawyers.
    As for "pistol" ammo, we are still waiting for a legal definition of "pistol calibre"....even more work for the lawyers.
    Why cannot these lords and ladies come up with workable definitions. Probably because they have no knowledge of the subjects they are discussing...

amc577

Since the only pistols we are allowed are muzzle loaders (which generally wouldn't shoot fast enough to expand a bullet), maintaining the ban on pistol calibre expanding bullets seems a bit daft. Maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Since the only pistols we are allowed are muzzle loaders (which generally wouldn't shoot fast enough to expand a bullet), maintaining the ban on pistol calibre expanding bullets seems a bit daft. Maybe next time.
    A few people at my club have long barrelled 357. It'll be sad if I can't get hollow point 45 colt for my carbine, would be great on rats

I have two very old Mausers that 'learned' to shoot back in the days when the 7x57 cartridge only came with a 175gr RN bullet - a long cylindrical bullet that made the most of the rifling in that era. Both of them shoot the modern pointy bullets like total sh*te, making patterns on the paper rather than groups, unless you count ten shots in an eight-inch circle to constitute a group. Back in the old days when expanding bullets were permitted to us ordinary folks, I used the readily available 175gr Nosler bullets and made two inch groups at 100m, and was happy.

IF the law gets changed to make these bullets available to folks like me, then that is a bonus.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 12-10-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Of course, Bristol is not in the one part of the UK where handguns of ALL kinds are still permitted, but I'm sure that our friends over in Northern Ireland might not be TOO miffed at not being to buy HP pistol bullets.

tac