Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver star HW45 in .25

Silver star HW45 in .25

Picked up an unfired silver star in a deal today, its in 177, but came with a spare .25 barrel, anyone else got one or fired one ?

Rob

Hw45

Hi, the silver star is a great version of the HW45. The target style grip is fantastic and very similar to the HW75. They do have a bit of a kick but with practice you can get good, I find the trick is to not hold it too tight and just let it kick after the shot.

No but it will be interesting -if you can get the .177 barrel off.
    They can be a bit of a fight!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    No but it will be interesting -if you can get the .177 barrel off.
    They can be a bit of a fight!

Thanks for the info, it might stay on then !, though i have just picked up a tin of .25's

Rob

I have a 45 which is the same as the silver star apart from the grip.

Mine is .177 but I also have a .22 barrel which I tried to see what the difference was.

It was a struggle to get the screws out which retain the barrel but I managed by using heat from a soldering iron applied to the top of the screws.
    Then inserting an allen key & giving it a tap which released whatever compound was on the screws. I bought some new screws.

Once I had the .22 barrel in it worked fine and seemed a little less harsh but with more power.

The .177 barrel produced 3.86 on the chrono & the .22 made 5.27 both on full power. So I wonder with a .25 barrel would the power go over 6?

Rob

Having just spent a couple of hours shooting it in 177 i have decided i prefer the 40 that i have, so think i will move it on.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Having just spent a couple of hours shooting it in 177 i have decided i prefer the 40 that i have, so think i will move it on.

Rob
    I have both and my advice is to hold on to it. HW 40 has no recoil whatsoever and at 2.5 ft.lbs is no match for the HW 45. In the beginning I had difficulty hitting anything but in time it is just as accurate as a 40 plus the satisfaction that it recoils almost like a proper pistol. Mine makes about 4.8ft.lbs in .177.

A.G

Just been shooting the 40, & i moved the backstop & found the 45 in 177 had been shooting straight through the old door i was using as the back stop. Its an internal door thats 33mm thick, & the distance is 9mtrs.

Rob

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    I bought a beautiful second hand/like new Silver Star HW45 .22 off here a few months ago, I love it's looks but struggle to hit a door with it That's due to me, not the pistol. I'm keeping it and looking forward to spending more time with it as I've heard from many people, you need to learn how to shoot it consistently. It diesels like mad but I quite like that
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    It diesels like mad but I quite like that
    Do you lube the pellets? If you do it could be the reason why it diesels, if not then there is a chance there is too much grease infront of the piston and the dieseling could damage the spring.
    I did have a link to a fantastic strip/rebuild but the link stopped working.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Do you lube the pellets? If you do it could be the reason why it diesels, if not then there is a chance there is too much grease infront of the piston and the dieseling could damage the spring.
    I did have a link to a fantastic strip/rebuild but the link stopped working.
    Nope, I've never lubed pellets, I put it down to its newness ? I would love to see that strip/rebuild (YouTube video ?). When I say deiseling, after every shot, I get a Whispy/Spirally thin string of smoke from the muzzle and the entry end of the barrel.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Nope, I've never lubed pellets, I put it down to its newness ? I would love to see that strip/rebuild (YouTube video ?). When I say deiseling, after every shot, I get a Whispy/Spirally thin string of smoke from the muzzle and the entry end of the barrel.
    this is my hw 45 strip and rebuild http://planetairgun.com/index.php?to...86444#msg86444
    This was the link (it's not working now) http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/HW45Review/review.html
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    this is my hw 45 strip and rebuild http://planetairgun.com/index.php?to...86444#msg86444
    This was the link (it's not working now) http://my.tbaytel.net/coopers/HW45Review/review.html
    Thank You

HW45's do smoke a bit when new. Some think it's a bad habbit but it does look cool. You can strip them and run them with just a tiny rub of grease.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Picked up an unfired silver star in a deal today, its in 177, but came with a spare .25 barrel, anyone else got one or fired one ?

Rob

I had an HW45 with all four barrels. The .25 was ok, but nothing special, in the sun you could see the rear of the pellet in flight.