Thread: PCP pistol cylinders ?

PCP pistol cylinders ?

New to this. How old before they shouldn't be used ? In the future I'd like a Steyr and some of the older pistols are cheap, but would I have to buy new cylinders for a 10-20 year old gun ?

Rules state

10 years then scrap.

Lots of people in more minor competitions using older cylinders. Plus club shooters.

Pair of cylinders for a Steyr would be £240.

I would always budget for new cylinders if I purchased a pistol 10 years old and older.

Walther, Morini and Feinwekbau cylinders are around £320 a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by nickm marshall View Post
    10 years then scrap.

Lots of people in more minor competitions using older cylinders. Plus club shooters.

Pair of cylinders for a Steyr would be £240.

I would always budget for new cylinders if I purchased a pistol 10 years old and older.

Walther, Morini and Feinwekbau cylinders are around £320 a pair.
    So if I just club shoot then I could carry on using older cylinders safely, but not enter major comps with them ?

Yep thats it
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Yep thats it
    As long as they are safe for me to use then that'll do. Thanks !

We have some club (Wigan) LP1s with 20 + year old cylinders still being used, they don't leak either.
    Evo 10 Compact.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    This rule has done the full circle from not checked, to must be replaced at 10 years, and has now returned to "may be checked at equipment control and advisory recommendations may be given" stated in ISSF rule 6.7.7.1 (g) , i.e. it is now near enough irrelavent.

Forget it, just use it as a bargaining point, but even in top level matches it is now just an "advisory" at equipment control, if they don't leak, don't worry about them.

Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

BigEars Guest
    Has there ever been a catastrophic failure of sych a cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    Has there ever been a catastrophic failure of sych a cylinder?
    Never heard of one failing due an age related fault when being used under normal conditions with correct air pressure filling but checking for overall good and non-abused condition before buying ( or shooting) would make good sense.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks for all the info guys. May sell my rifle gear and look for an LP1.

Mike-I may not exactly have this right, but I spoke to Steyr on this matter and they were pretty unphased by the age of a cylinder so long as it didn't leak or wasn't full of gunk from an unfiltered hill pump. Apparently the 10 year thing was due to 3rd world countries using very old/obviously unsafe cylinders at the last olympucs ( one before?) and this has now been adopted as ISSF rule, so as long as you don't do big competitions, old cylinders are fine.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Guys,
    Just read the ISSF rules, 6.7.7.1 (g), it is now just ADVISORY, it will not fail for that at ANY competition.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?