Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detachment Issues

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Detachment Issues

A phrase I was introduced to yesterday by Phil (PjBingham).
    I think it means that after you have got a rough gun up and running again, even if it is still rough, that you have formed a bond with it and cannot let it go.
    I know I have this problem, which is why I have so many crappy old guns.
    A few of my favourite pistols are my dog rough Scorpion, a rough Tempest, and a rusty Senior I got from John (Duomatic 410). I had trouble letting go the .177 Tempest with a bit missing out of the frame, where I think someone had fitted some flat bar to make a shoulder stock. That was the one I got off Hsing-ee. My niece had the sense to claim that one before I started to do it, but it was still hard letting it go.

I have the feeling that this affliction is more common amongst those of us who tinker with the really rough stuff.

Do you suffer from this?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Guy has outed me so here goes....My name is Phil and I'm addicted to crap Airguns. Often the worse they are the more I want them,I almost feel for their suffering. I'm the same with other stuff,I bought my house as a wreck and even my cats are rescue cats with only one tail and 3 eyes between them.
    Once I have rebuilt an air pistol I wouldn't be able to get rid of it unless it was passed on to someone who feels the same and even then it would be difficult,however I don't have any issue selling something that's newish. I tend to hoard as many old spares as possible and it's almost as hard passing those on but I'm a hypocrite because I could never bring myself to break a gun myself. I was never this bad until I got divorced and lost almost everything. I bought her out so I had the house but I had to sell everything prior to pay for the divorce and she took the rest. I had a coffee table and a wooden trunk and that was it. The gas/electric/phone/water etc she had cut off. I had managed to hide my Airsporter and Tempest and parts of a BSA cadet in the loft,these were parts of my collection that I just couldn't bare to part with and the night she left I went up with a torch and retrieved them from under the insulation Since then I've collected every waif and stray I could get my hands on and that genuinely makes me happy. I've had councilling because I have an obsession with fixing things,not being able to fix things genuinely distresses me,other than all that I'm completely normal

I like Meteors,rougher the better.

Ok confession over .

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Guy has outed me so here goes....My name is Phil and I'm addicted to crap Airguns. Often the worse they are the more I want them,I almost feel for their suffering. I'm the same with other stuff,I bought my house as a wreck and even my cats are rescue cats with only one tail and 3 eyes between them.
    Once I have rebuilt an air pistol I wouldn't be able to get rid of it unless it was passed on to someone who feels the same and even then it would be difficult,however I don't have any issue selling something that's newish. I tend to hoard as many old spares as possible and it's almost as hard passing those on but I'm a hypocrite because I could never bring myself to break a gun myself. I was never this bad until I got divorced and lost almost everything. I bought her out so I had the house but I had to sell everything prior to pay for the divorce and she took the rest. I had a coffee table and a wooden trunk and that was it. The gas/electric/phone/water etc she had cut off. I had managed to hide my Airsporter and Tempest and parts of a BSA cadet in the loft,these were parts of my collection that I just couldn't bare to part with and the night she left I went up with a torch and retrieved them from under the insulation Since then I've collected every waif and stray I could get my hands on and that genuinely makes me happy. I've had councilling because I have an obsession with fixing things,not being able to fix things genuinely distresses me,other than all that I'm completely normal
    Excellent post sir!

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Excellent post sir!
    Thankyou,it was very therapeutic No detachment issues of you're own to confess?

I used to have detachment issues until I met you Now I have plenty of space in my sulking shed

Thankyou,it was very therapeutic No detachment issues of you're own to confess?
    Yes indeed. I have 8 restoration projects in hand as we speak. Two Tell air rifles, a Relum, a Cadet, two Nepalese antique 'Enfield' muskets and a couple of other examples that only their mothers would love. All are in storage awaiting the light of day. Would I ever let them go? To the right person I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I used to have detachment issues until I met you Now I have plenty of space in my sulking shed
    You have helped me that much with my addiction Pete that you are practically a Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Yes indeed. I have 8 restoration projects in hand as we speak. Two Tell air rifles, a Relum, a Cadet, two Nepalese antique 'Enfield' muskets and a couple of other examples that only their mothers would love. All are in storage awaiting the light of day. Would I ever let them go? To the right person I guess.
    We still seem to be a minority,no one else is confessing

Not sure...

My pal got me a Milbro Diana 27 from a boot sale three years ago. I was really disappointed when I saw it as he said it was an under leaver when he phoned me but I had said I would buy it so hey-ho! I sorted it all mechanically so it shot reasonably nicely.

I was going to sell it as I just couldn't bond with it, being rough and a break barrel.

Then I relented a bit and thought it could live in the garden shed to be on hand if the hen's pet rat made an appearance.

But that was three years ago. (It didn't live in the shed, in case anyone is thinking I'm heartless!) Yesterday it had an outing to the workshop and a play with different pellets through the crono and it shoots really consistently.

I'm starting to find it attractive.

Maybe the first signs of the problem? Or maybe it reminds me of my Meteor back in the 70's? Or am I in denial?

I did take sympathy on a really rough and graunchy Cadet Major with no spring guide. (I'm sure this doesn't count as it was so rough I had it re-blued and sorted everything mechanically, and it is now really pretty and not rough in any way.)

Red face

I suffer the affliction too

I used to sell/swap guns but found that I missed them afterward, I still have some projects to go at, They languish behind the telly in the dining room!! Although some I have managed to breathe life in to and are once again working, They may not be the prettiest guns in the world but they are functioning as they were meant to!!

Projects!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

ggggr,

The Chinese (or somebody) have a saying that if you save a chappies bacon, you are responsible for the chappie for life ?

So substitute rifle/pistol for chappie, and there you have it

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Great post Mr. Bingham, and you do not need counselling for fixing things. People who do not fix things need counselling, if it wasn't for people like you others would be living in a world of junk that does not work. As for letting go of things I have slowly got used to passing things on and having a loose grip on material possessions or they can control your life. Some rifles and pistols that I had and said I would never sell have gone and I do not feel any the worse for it. Also have more available cash to look for something different in future !

Regards, Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I think I may be starting to develop "Detachment issues" with a Webley Mk1 pistol I bought off here the other week off Webman----it was in better nick than I thought it would be and he sent a couple of pairs of wood grips he had made. "Thank you Sir" . It was quite hard to cock and when I stripped it (Not that it really needed stripping--I am just like that) It had a flat section spring in it. I cleaned the pistol out and relubed it and tried a bit of shorter spring on the sear, but it wouldn't cock with that in and I didn't want to cut the one that came with it. It was still had to cock, so I swapped the spring with a round one I had knockng around here. With the trigger adjusted fairly light it really is an accurate pistol and send the bottle caps flying. After a quick word with my Niece, who the pistol is intended for, I decided to have a go at the wooden grips and then fit them. I don't know what sort of wood they are but they were a fairly plan brown colour, so I attacked them with the blow lamp so a lot of them are black. A few coats of Tru oil later and they have been fitted. It really does shoot well, so I will have to try not to shoot it now or I will want to keep it

Thank you Webman. It's a good un
    Last edited by ggggr; 13-08-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Keep it Guy if you have bonded with it there’s a million other Mk1’s out there that your niece would be equally happy with