Thread: Detachment Issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I think I may be starting to develop "Detachment issues" with a Webley Mk1 pistol I bought off here the other week off Webman----it was in better nick than I thought it would be and he sent a couple of pairs of wood grips he had made. "Thank you Sir" . It was quite hard to cock and when I stripped it (Not that it really needed stripping--I am just like that) It had a flat section spring in it. I cleaned the pistol out and relubed it and tried a bit of shorter spring on the sear, but it wouldn't cock with that in and I didn't want to cut the one that came with it. It was still had to cock, so I swapped the spring with a round one I had knockng around here. With the trigger adjusted fairly light it really is an accurate pistol and send the bottle caps flying. After a quick word with my Niece, who the pistol is intended for, I decided to have a go at the wooden grips and then fit them. I don't know what sort of wood they are but they were a fairly plan brown colour, so I attacked them with the blow lamp so a lot of them are black. A few coats of Tru oil later and they have been fitted. It really does shoot well, so I will have to try not to shoot it now or I will want to keep it

Thank you Webman. It's a good un
    Last edited by ggggr; 13-08-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Keep it Guy if you have bonded with it there’s a million other Mk1’s out there that your niece would be equally happy with

I might not have the largest of collections (13 air rifles and 3 (maybe 4 ) air pistols) and I dont see myself ever selling them. In fact the only air rifle I have ever sold was my Original MOD 45 and that was to my brother!

I also have the knack of whenever I see an old and abused air gun, I find myself buying it (if I can afford to do so, I aint that bad yet...) For example I bought a Diana MOD 55 of free ads not too long ago. The thing is in shambles, missing parts, damaged wood ect.... and I knew I would never find parts for the thing and nor do I have the skills to make them. But I bought it anyway. Now it is sat on my work bench waiting....

Ill get it right one day....

Detachment issues

Thanks to ggggr for those kind words. My background is in engineering, and I like to mend things, especially neglected and abused air pistols. Generally I don't form any bond with my projects, but get pleasure from the challenge of getting them working well. This particular pistol turned out to be very accurate and nice to shoot. If I didn't suffer from arthritis in my hands I could well have kept it. It's gone to a good home.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I really dont do as much as I used to with airguns now but tend to revisit old problems. However, recently i was on the look out for a rough / damagled Webley modifying. I'm not a butcher but reckon if something is boggered in the first place then you cannot really do to much wrong.
    A nice chap on here found a late Premier for me, missing grips and a trigger and not cocking--------------with a worn fulcrum. I looked at it and it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I decided to fit a trigger I had in the spares box and thought while I was at it to remove the trigger guard and sear pins. Apparently the late MK1 Premiers had the trggers fitted with the guards in place, so the 2 pins are covered in paint. I wanted to remove the pins. Jeez they were tight!!! The back one I actually had to drill a bit and get some plus gas in the hole and it was still a swine to shift
    I cleaned the remaining pins up and found one for the damaged one, then fitted the trigger to the gun. It still wouldn't cock, so I wondered if I reversed the cocking shoe it would work and it did! I fired a couple of shots and had a feeling it would be a good one.

Webman had sent me a set of home made wooden grips when I bought a Mk1 off him the other year and i drilled the holes for the locating peg in them.

Another nice chap off here welded the fulcrum up for me and posted the frame back the other day.

Today I decided to clean it up and put it back together. It fairly flew together apart from a tight pin in the trigger guard. I've still not got the sight spot on (bloody Webley rearsights!) but what a lovely thing it is! The mainspring is slightly tired but the firing cylce is pretty quick. The trigger is light (I'm hoping the sear is not on the way out!) and it is bloody accurate.
    So my intended project got kicked into touch and I've got another working Webley.

Sometimes I really do think that they appreciate a bit of effort and some of rough ones are great to plink with
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"