Thread: Match pistol first stage travel - how much?

Match pistol first stage travel - how much?

I've read several articles that talk of taking up the trigger's first stage whilst manoeuvring the sights into the aiming area. Crikey, how much first stage travel do you pistol shooters have? My Steyr LP2 trigger currently has just a few millimetres - not enough to be leisurely squeezing through during acquisition! Do I need to do some adjustment or have I misinterpreted the advice?

Any feedback much appreciated.

I think this is a very personal thing - the sort of question you will get three different answers from three different people - and the advice will vary over the years too as fashion , trends and opinions change.

For what it is worth - by the time I finished "serious" pistol target shooting I had virtually eliminated all first stage travel and now I only shoot for leisure I still find that this is what works best for me.

I suggest you listen to all the opinions and judge the reasoning given (if any) and experiment to see what you find the most comfortable to work with - and don't be surprised if this changes over the years 😂

Copying what somebody else does just because they are a good shot does not automatically mean this is the best option for you, but it is certainly worth a try as you experiment to find your own preference.

Good luck 😎
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I take up the first stage after I have lowered the pistol into the aiming area. I then aim and then when happy I let the shot off.
    I would say at sometime before you start aiming you should take up the 1st stage. It is not slowly taking up the 1st stage while moving the pistol its taking up the 1st before you start to aim so it only takes a small movement of the trigger to release the shot.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Like the previous post... Take up first stage shortly after intitial aquisition... the slowly squeeze the trigger while holding the target... if your trigger is correctly set up the let off should be a surprise !!.. between 5 - 10 seconds after intitial aquisition
    As for amount of 1st stage pressure and Travel.... its totally personal to YOU.... only the 2nd stage let off pressure is covered by the rules so long as everything is safe !!

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    I take up the first stage at the top of my raise,as I lower onto the card I align the sights,increasing the trigger pressure so that when I get to sub 6 the trigger is almost at the point of release,and the shot goes.
    My first stage is about 2.5mm,and trigger weight is 520g
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

The first stage travel of my FWB P44 is about 2mm and this is taken up before lowering pistol to 6 o'clock position below aiming mark while simultaneously maintaining a clear sight picture and gradually taking up second pressure before releasing shot.