Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Range Finder of 2016?

Best Range Finder of 2016?

hey all,

just wondering, what are you guys currently using range finder wise? or what would you prefer to be using ??
    i have seen various other posts but they are all dated a year or two + ago, and obviously things change every 5 mins tech wise..

so wondering what you guys recommend ?
    what are you using at the min ? Pros & Cons ?
    budget is "flexible" ie more time to save if needed..

whats best and what types are best ?
    day only, or day & night ?
    Hammerli AR20 .177 - Hawke Panarama @ CambridgeHFT
    Theoban MFR .177 - Burris 3-12X32 RA @ CambridgeHFT
    Dr.Bob Makes It All Better - www.drbobsgunbits.com

Best ,range finder 2016

Hawke 600 lrf its better than the 400 because it fits your hand better, as a result you can hold it stable with one hand and take accurate readings. The smaller range finders move when you press the button and you need to use both hands to hold them steady.

The technira night vision range finder its cheap and it works out to 120 yds in darkness.
    mk2 rapid.22

Bushnell Scout isn't cheap but is excellent.

I use the hawks 400 all the time. Does what it says on the tin. Wouldn't be without it , but not tried any others.

I use Leica, it shits all over my mates hawke400

In what way?

Redfield Raider 550 hand held,
    & also one of the Chinese rifle mounted ones, which is fantastic on the .22lr with NV, got me one at 113yds the other night.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Sig Kilo 2000, it has better quality lenses than the cheap ones, ranges faster than anything else and only costs around £550.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAi5p3J4YWk
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

depends on range

Seen one of these in action, goes down to the mm out to 250m

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-GLM-P...ail_bullets_id

That is not a Range Finder

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    depends on range

Seen one of these in action, goes down to the mm out to 250m

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-GLM-P...ail_bullets_id
    as used in shooting but more of a measuring device used in construction, (like a tape rule). It works by bouncing a Laser beam off the object being measured and if that object is farther than you can see the small red laser dot your out of luck. They are very accurate but worthless for ranging beyond your ability to see the laser beam.

Leupold seems to be the best for the money, they not the best out there. But cheap enough for most people to afford it.

If you want the very best however binoculars are the way to go. You won't go far wrong with these http://m.uttings.co.uk/p115325-leica...r-yards-40049/
    Last edited by ian321; 19-10-2016 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tvanpool View Post
    as used in shooting but more of a measuring device used in construction, (like a tape rule). It works by bouncing a Laser beam off the object being measured and if that object is farther than you can see the small red laser dot your out of luck. They are very accurate but worthless for ranging beyond your ability to see the laser beam.
    How do the other rangefinders work?

thanks for the information guys, what are these like for angled measurements ?
    ie shooting up trees/down hills etc ?

most seem to have some form of angled measure shooting mode, ie direct to pidgy.. but some dont state one way or the other..

one thing i find funny is the price for the hawkes is a lot more expensive direct from hawke than it is via uttlings etc..
    Hammerli AR20 .177 - Hawke Panarama @ CambridgeHFT
    Theoban MFR .177 - Burris 3-12X32 RA @ CambridgeHFT
    Dr.Bob Makes It All Better - www.drbobsgunbits.com

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    I've used a few, some cheap ones and also a Leica Rangemaster 1200.

The Leica is superb both optically and for its functions and would be my 'money no object' choice. In my experience, cheap models are unreliable and don't last but that is just my experience.

I eventually settled on a Vortex Ranger 1000 as a compromise on price and quality; mine was about £250 but I think RRP is over £300.
    The optics are good, it's accurate and also has an LED display with adjustable brightness. To top it off, you get the superb Vortex lifetime guarantee. I've had mine for about 2 years now and it's been brilliant. Highly recommended!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
    thanks for the information guys, what are these like for angled measurements ?
    ie shooting up trees/down hills etc ?

most seem to have some form of angled measure shooting mode, ie direct to pidgy.. but some dont state one way or the other..

one thing i find funny is the price for the hawkes is a lot more expensive direct from hawke than it is via uttlings etc..
    Most have a form of cosine correction built in. The reason it's cheaper from the retailer than the distributor is because they don't want to compete with their own customers.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!