Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrony F1

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent

Chrony F1

Such a good piece of kit, has anybody made any successful sunshade mods ?

Those supplied seem very Heath Robinson. With the folding design of the unit why weren't the shades and posts made do fit inside the closed device .... poor product design or a good reason ?

what do you all reckon ?

ATB

Steve
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

I had to make some new sunshades the other week....My Chrony has sat un-used for 20+ years, (last used to make sure my Glock 21 loads made major power factor !!), and when i got it out last week to check my .308 loads, the sunshades had discoloured a shade of orange, and were very brittle.

I cut a couple of strips out of a 2ltr milk container, folded them and cut a couple of slits for the rods to fit into. Seemed to work ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll;[URL="tel:7108351"
    7108351[/URL]]I had to make some new sunshades the other week....My Chrony has sat un-used for 20+ years, (last used to make sure my Glock 21 loads made major power factor !!), and when i got it out last week to check my .308 loads, the sunshades had discoloured a shade of orange, and were very brittle.

I cut a couple of strips out of a 2ltr milk container, folded them and cut a couple of slits for the rods to fit into. Seemed to work ok.

Sounds good.

if I made shorter Rods and a concertina affair from milk carton plastic I reckon I could fit it all in the clamshell !

Another winter project !
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    I had to make some new sunshades the other week....My Chrony has sat un-used for 20+ years, (last used to make sure my Glock 21 loads made major power factor !!), and when i got it out last week to check my .308 loads, the sunshades had discoloured a shade of orange, and were very brittle.

Could I have the old ones ? I was thinking of making replacements out of acrylic but don't have a pattern to work from.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Could I have the old ones ? I was thinking of making replacements out of acrylic but don't have a pattern to work from.
    How brittle they are, i don't think they'll survive the postal service....but I will measure them when i get home and post exact dimensions on here.

Looking at photos of the current Chronys, I think the older ones (mine dates from the early 90's) had smaller rods that todays have, so the distance between the rod tips is quite small... or seems it when you're trying to shoot between them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    How brittle they are, i don't think they'll survive the postal service....but I will measure them when i get home and post exact dimensions on here.

Looking at photos of the current Chronys, I think the older ones (mine dates from the early 90's) had smaller rods that todays have, so the distance between the rod tips is quite small... or seems it when you're trying to shoot between them!!
    Cheers Daryll, happy to pay postage etc.. if they could be sent. I need to get the curve right too. If not measurements may do

Cheers Daryll, happy to pay postage etc.. if they could be sent. I need to get the curve right too. If not measurements may do
    These are not curved... a flat surface, maybe 6'' across, with 2 side pieces with slots to fit over the rods. The flat area has white stickers on it facing the sensor.... i honestly can't remember whether they were on there originally, or I added them as a modification....

I'll measure and photo later..

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Beagle View Post
    Such a good piece of kit, has anybody made any successful sunshade mods ?

Those supplied seem very Heath Robinson. With the folding design of the unit why weren't the shades and posts made do fit inside the closed device .... poor product design or a good reason ?

what do you all reckon ?

ATB

Steve
    Never used my sunshades... perhaps we don't get enough sunshine to upset the Chrony!

ok...mine are 111mm across (rod tip to rod tip), 64mm wide (front to back), and the side panels are 142mm long.

https://i.imgsafe.org/e381fcf5f7.jpg

https://i.imgsafe.org/e38230a95f.jpg

Thanks, the ones I've seen before were just fitted on the top of the rods, no side pieces and were much thicker... maybe a different model ?

Remember also with the F1 - With the addition of a simple push button switch and a 3.5mm jack you can access a lot more data such as Minimum/maximum, ES. SD, average speed for string etc.

Thanks, the ones I've seen before were just fitted on the top of the rods, no side pieces and were much thicker... maybe a different model ?
    Well this one is over 24 years old... the receipt is still in the box. It cost me £77 and £4 postage on 1st July 1992...

I'd be surprised if they hadn't made some changes in that time..

I see Maybe I should just buy a new one, certainly would come in handy anyway

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Remember also with the F1 - With the addition of a simple push button switch and a 3.5mm jack you can access a lot more data such as Minimum/maximum, ES. SD, average speed for string etc.
    Yep did this one ... excellent freebie

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Beagle View Post
    Yep did this one ... excellent freebie
    So is this a DIY mod to a chrony..??

I just wrote down the displayed velocities then typed them in to a spreadsheet (with all the relevant calculations in it) when i got home...but to have them on the chrony would be good..

Of course something thats possible on a modern one, may not be possible on mine...