Thread: Adjusting a Match pistol grip to fit

Adjusting a Match pistol grip to fit

Ok, I recently secured a fabulous Steyr Lp1 as a first match pistol. At this stage I remain confined to the garden or dry firing indoors, as I clear other comittments to be able to join a club. Probably several watching this are already familiar with my recent posts on a first budget target pistol and pellets to match.

This post is about the grips. The pistol came with a medium grip, which doesn't quite fit. I have relaxed my grip and things got better but I'm pretty sure it's too small, but it's blemish free and quite beautiful. Until I manage to join a club and get a chance to feel other grips, and gets hands-on advice I will not be messing with the grips. However, I have secured a previously heavily filled Lp1 Large grip.

So, the question- what material do you use to fill grips? I will need to remove quite a bit of filled material as they were work in progress to make a Large grip fit a very small hand ( it had two shelves fitted)
    Also, any tips or lessons learnt from your experiences would be appreciated. I am treating this as a prototype grip which I may use in time as a blue print for something more auspicious, maybe even a DIY grip made from scratch.

Thanks guys ( and gals!)

where is yours too small? if its only the palmrest; you can fill out the hole to get more adjustment
    I never fuzz with grips but if Inwould I'd use fluid wood (or whats it called)
    ATB,
    yana

Yana
    I get a lot of pressure on the inside of my thumb. It feels like the muscle pad of my thumb is pushed up by the grip on the far left if the grip , pushing my thumb itself up against the wood under the sights, but just in the corner. Really hard to describe!

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    Yana
    I get a lot of pressure on the inside of my thumb. It feels like the muscle pad of my thumb is pushed up by the grip on the far left if the grip , pushing my thumb itself up against the wood under the sights, but just in the corner. Really hard to describe!
    I don't think you should be apply lateral force to the grip like that. Ease your hold until most of the weight rests on your ring and middle fingers. Your thumb should be relaxed and lying parallel to the barrel.

I use blutack to initially see what the grip should be like ,stick it on and grip the pistol as required ,if necessary adding more to suit.
    Once a good grip has been established take a picture for reference ,remove blue tack and replace using car body filler from halfords or similar mix up and apply.use a disposable glove and or barrier cream and grip the pistol,hold it until it starts to get warm (setting) remove hand and allow to cure (2hrs) then you can file /sand/dremelmfor the final fit.
    Don't forget your hand will swell /shrink depending upon the time of year/weather so don't make it to tight!!

Very difficult to describe this! Even with a grip so limp the pistol is almost falling out of my hands, with only enough lateral grip by my thumb to keep it on the thumb rest, my thumb is squeezed between the top of the Palm swell and the underside of the sight timber ( must be better vernacular than this!). In keeping my thumb on the rest and exerting enough pressure to keep the barrel horizontal, the bit of wood under the sight on the left up hand side digs into the top/ inside of my thumb. Does that make any sense?!

Don't forget you should be shooting broken wrist ie when holding out the pistol the wrist should be pointing down .you should not have to bring the wrist up to get the barrel level.Steyers have some adjusting screws in the base where the grip fits which when adjusted will bring the foresight up.
    If you can adjust that so they do then file the grips to fit I've fitted mine so that the thumb just rests on the side and the fingers wrapping round support the gun ,gripping slightly just adds more control.
    Hope this helps

Adjusting grip to fit.

If you need to pack out a larger grip try Milliput, four colours available and not expensive. Works well.

Peter

There are a few sites online that will give good advise on pistol grip adjustments and sizing, have a look at these before doing anything. Juts google target pistol grip adjustment.
    The grip is one of the most important features of the pistol so worth spending time and effort getting it right, a good fitting grip will give consistency and reduce fatigue, modifying one area at a time and slowly is the key, test shoot between modifications and check for consistant hold, pressure points etc.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
    If you need to pack out a larger grip try Milliput, four colours available and not expensive. Works well.

Peter
    Another vote from me for Milliput !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.