Oh dear, here we go again! For those of you who shoot Air rifle in local events its of no impact but for those who shoot in ISSF competition and have national team or International aspirations there is some bad news in the new rules, still not in final print but now confirmed on the ISSF website for implimentation from the 1st of Jan 2017.

A few of the usual stupid rule changes, no side blinders, and now no electronic ear defenders ( as we could coach with radio's!) paranoid or what!

But there is one with serious implications for rifle shooters both air and smallbore using wooden stocks, they have added a rule restricting the dimension from bore line to the lowest part of the butt stock of 140 mm. This dimension will be be for the total area between the pistol grip and the butt plate, and this will make most wooden stock rifles illegal!
The have increased the allowed forend depth from 90 mm to 120 mm, and the depth of the toe of the buttplate was 220 mm is now free.

But it is the 140 rule that is the crazy one, I have checked on modern Walther Universals, and Junior wooden stocks used by a couple of my shooters who shoot at Championship level, and they both exceed the 140. Most older wood air rifles and wood smallbores will also not comply.

Most alloy stock will comply.

I have looked at modifying, and although possible is not straightforward as the area to be removed includes buttplate support and mounting, so I'm looking at making alloy plates to mount the buttplate.

We will have to see if its enforced in the UK but I'm sure it will be, if not initialy at the Feb airgun Championships, then at least later.

At least they have not changed the clothing rules!

So guys and gals, the ISSF continues its march towards destroyng our sport!

We work hard developing young shooters and there are times when I wonder if its all worth it, beam me up Scotty!

Have Fun
Robin