Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there something wrong with my FWB 300S ?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

is there something wrong with my FWB 300S ?

I mean it shoots well, but I'm not convinced it's as accurate as it should be, and is very pellet fussy.
    R10s and 8.4 grain JSBs both group around 10mm @ 20 yards. The only thing it really likes are JSB expresses, which it shoots around 3-4mm c-c @ 20 yards - which is OK, but I was really expecting something special

Consistent on the chrono, nice cycle, and a loverly trigger. Tempted to work on the crown, but maybe I'm looking for problems that aren't there... I just wasn't expecting it to be less accurate than my (albeit very highly tuned) full power recoiling sporting springers.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Try H&N match pellets.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by copperjacket View Post
    Ha ha

Mr Budd ......Busted !!

Hi Jon, MV should be between 585 and 615 ft/sec using 8.2 grain R10's with a MV variation of no more than 5 ft/sec over 10 shots.That is the "as new" spec. At 10 metres with R10's should group one hole with the slightest edge clipping from a rested position. Never tried one of these at 20 metres, but would expect still one hole with maybe a half pellet clip around the initial hole.

Is the barrel clean and re-leaded?

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Ha.. I remember those threads But now I'm genuinely not actually looking to tinker with this.. I now have a couple of very very accurate full power rifles (including a TX200 SR), so the idea was to actually leave this alone ! I'm starting to shoot 10M at the club, so this is just perfect. All I've done is replace the buffer, and replaced the two springs with one.

Neil, great info, thanks... That's what I expected - mine is not doing that well in terms of accuracy. Consistency no problem. My MV is about 20 fps up on that, presumably due to the single spring, rather than the less efficient dual. I could try detuning it a bit, but that seems unlikely to be the issue. Yes, barrel cleaned and releaded. Thing is when shooting standing, it's plenty accurate enough relative to the huge errors introduced by myself, so I think I may leave it until I get a lot better.
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 27-10-2016 at 07:25 AM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'll get mine out and have a bash...

(no phil you can't just have a look at it for 2 secs )

The only thing I'd say is the two pellets you mentioned with the larger c-c results, are they both flat heads? (I'm guessing the JSB's were?). Also, might you be getting loopier trajectory with a lower powered pellet, which again if the flat heads are being used, would affect stability?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    The only thing I'd say is the two pellets you mentioned with the larger c-c results, are they both flat heads? (I'm guessing the JSB's were?). Also, might you be getting loopier trajectory with a lower powered pellet, which again if the flat heads are being used, would affect stability?
    the R10s were flat, the JSB exact were std dome, and the JSB express also std dome. Stried quite a few others, all a bit crap except for the expresses...

I'd be surprised if 20 yards was enough to destroy stability..

If the barrel crown was a problem I'd expect accuracy to be affected across the board pellet wise. It might just have a fussy barrel. Have you tried wire brush extreme cleaning?
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    the R10s were flat, the JSB exact were std dome, and the JSB express also std dome. Stried quite a few others, all a bit crap except for the expresses...

I'd be surprised if 20 yards was enough to destroy stability..

What are they like a 10 mtrs?

Try meisterkugelns. I believe that was THE pellet in the 300's day. Mine loves them. Better than r10s
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I'll get mine out and have a bash...

(no phil you can't just have a look at it for 2 secs )
    already got one .remember ? .......wonder where it is ?

Are you using the dioptre sights. If so have you tried different foresight inserts. My scores & groups got much better when I changed the foresight insert & fitted an adjustable rear iris to mine. Gives you a much clearer sight picture, but you have to fiddle about a bit to find what suits you best.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

stuck a small scope on it... I really want to use the dioptre, but it's hard - my eyes just see a blury mess