Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: the steyr debate continues

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    Unfortunately the line has to be drawn somewhere or you could equally same the same about all forms of firearms. I would love a full auto AR15 but what do I really need one for?
    i think your post is more that likely unfortunately the way it will go but until the ink is dry there is still hope
    .177 STEYR HUNTING SCOUT SA FULL CARBON SHROUD BUSHNELL ELITE 4200

Unfortunately the line has to be drawn somewhere or you could equally same the same about all forms of firearms. I would love a full auto AR15 but what do I really need one for?
    Shooting?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Shooting?
    Ahh but shooting at what?
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Ahh but shooting at what?
    Very fast moving targets.....

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Well to my mind, if this is still current / valid:

Then North Yorkshire Police will get that answer from CPS, and any idea of a court case following would be NFA'd. And presumably, Harry P. should get his guns back.

But, from what's happened, it seems like things may have moved on from being "in the meantime".

In which case, does anybody know of any updated guidance?

Mr D? David BASC?

* Quote sourced from the "Know your law - air weapons" pdf, available here: https://basc.org.uk/airgunning/advic...d-fact-sheets/
    I agree.
    To my mind an Airgun Act is a good idea.

At the moment we seem to have more grey areas and threats of imprisonment than those who have real guns.
    And please don't tell me that an airgun is a firearm in law.I know that.
    But is it really though?

You might argue that more Legislation is a bad idea but the simple fact is that airguns tend to be forgotten when Firearms legislation is drawn up.
    So then we have an 'oops we forgot them 'from the authorities and a VCR Act which overlooked the fact that airguns are Firearms shooting itself in the foot over RIFs.
    Last edited by gingernut; 23-10-2016 at 08:02 AM.

In our world of airguns there have been so many sophisticated designs to produce the power and mechanism to shoot these little lead pellets. This is one of the reasons I find the sport so interesting. Up till now these ideas have had seemingly limitless possibilities as new concepts and designs are still moving forwards. Steyr was at the very front of the curve, their pistols in my mind are works of art and are the F1 cars of our sport. I hope the confusion of interpretation in the law is cleared up and that the sport is given more respect.

Quite so.
    I have shot the LP5 and the Hunting 5 and they are both stunning.
    I hasten to add that I don't own either!

Don't mention anything to do with an airgun act. Scotland have one and we are all aware how disastrous it will be for Scottish enthusiasts when if comes into force.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    ah .so because I'm from Scotland you think I support the SNP? your wrong. far from it.

some say airguns are toys and most would be powder burner gun owners. petty that's all it is.

just because you don't like them does not mean they should be known as Walt guns.

I know plenty of BASC and SACS members that shun airguns as toys.

No I didn't assume that at all and didn't even realise you were from Scotland.

Look I'm sorry if I offended people that was not my intention.

I am sometimes prone to a bit of Waltism myself and have to stop myself buying a sig every time I go to the club....mainly because I am not an operator and do not need to train as such.

It's ok in moderation just like anything else ha ha.

What I did do this weekend was take a friend and his two sons down the club and spend four hours training them in range safety and safe shooting. Promoting our beloved sport. They loved it!

Home Office Guide on Firearms Law, April 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Well to my mind, if this is still current / valid:

Then North Yorkshire Police will get that answer from CPS, and any idea of a court case following would be NFA'd. And presumably, Harry P. should get his guns back.

But, from what's happened, it seems like things may have moved on from being "in the meantime".

In which case, does anybody know of any updated guidance?

Mr D? David BASC?

* Quote sourced from the "Know your law - air weapons" pdf, available here: https://basc.org.uk/airgunning/advic...d-fact-sheets/

i) Air and gas operated weapons and their ammunition
    2.45 Air guns, air rifles and air pistols are exempt from the certification requirement if they are not of
    a type declared specially dangerous by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules 1969, as
    amended by the 1993 Rules or the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) (Scotland) Rules 1969,
    as amended by the Firearms (Dangerous Air Weapons) (Scotland) Amendment Rules 1993.
    2.46 The Rules provide that any air weapon is ‘specially dangerous’ if it is capable of
    discharging a missile so that the missile has, on being discharged from the muzzle of the
    weapon, kinetic energy in excess, in the case of an air pistol, of 6 foot lbs or, in the case
    of an air weapon other than an air pistol, 12 foot lbs. An air rifle with a muzzle energy in
    excess of 12 foot lbs must be held on a firearm certificate. Any air pistol which either has a
    barrel less than 30cm in length or is less than 60cm in length overall, with a muzzle energy
    in excess of 6 foot lbs is a prohibited firearm.

This one has probably been mentioned before.

.... but, I'm confused as to why I can't even order an air rifle silencer or a lowly 6ftlb rifle to be delivered to my home address.

But, here's the really crazy bit, I can order a 200lb+ compound crossbow with as many bolts and broadheads as I want, all from well known web sites, to be belivered wherever I choose within 24hrs. No training or license required

I may well be naive but, the whole thing just seems absolutely bonkers

All of the above.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    .... but, I'm confused as to why I can't even order an air rifle silencer or a lowly 6ftlb rifle to be delivered to my home address.

But, here's the really crazy bit, I can order a 200lb+ compound crossbow with as many bolts and broadheads as I want, all from well known web sites, to be belivered wherever I choose within 24hrs. No training or license required

Because airguns come under firearms law and bows come under knife law

Almost as Bonkers

Another little quirk of firearms legislation is if you run a "Shooting Gallery" (no definition offered as to what that would comprise) you may WITHOUT having a firearms certificate buy .22 semi-automatic rifles and ammunition.
    I assume this was to enable fairground shooting galleries to operate as they would have no permanent address for an FAC.
    I haven't seen one in years.

And even more stupidly, if you buy from a private seller, these restrictions don't apply!

In the words of Homer, D'oh!! (Simpson, not he of the Illiad fame....)

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

I suggested a while ago that people who have " respect and influence " from the air gun community get together and approach the authorities with a view to modernise the gun laws as applied to air rifle/pitols. The responses were less than enthusiastic lets say. The fact remains that these laws/acts or what ever they are called are not fit for purpose. You have correctly identified just a couple of many of the idosyncrasies here.

A.G