Thread: What is wrong with this piece of brass?

Ruger_shooter is offline Meadowlark Lemon's Personal Tailor

What is wrong with this piece of brass?

Lapua cases from new, .223, fired 5 times. When I neck size this case using a Redding competition bushing neck sizing die it will not size the same as the others. This one comes out 0.219 inches internal diameter, 0.250 inches external diameter compared to the others 0.212 and 0.244 inches (I am using a .245 bushing). I first noticed it when I seated the bullet, the seating did not feel right as the bullet went in too easily and measurements showed that the bullet had seated much too deep. Tried neck sizing a couple of times but no improvement. Only one case at the moment but looking for advice should others develop the same problem Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

I'm not sure if I can explain what I mean,
    but could it be that on one sizing there has been excess lube or other contamination on the internal expander, so it has opened the case too wide, (by hydraulics) and there is sufficient "spring" in the brass that the external die is not tight enough to compress the neck back down to the internal 0.212".
    Possibly if the case was annealed the soft brass would then compress back to the correct size.

or it might just have been a duff size from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'm not sure if I can explain what I mean,
    but could it be that on one sizing there has been excess lube or other contamination on the internal expander, so it has opened the case too wide, (by hydraulics) and there is sufficient "spring" in the brass that the external die is not tight enough to compress the neck back down to the internal 0.212".
    Possibly if the case was annealed the soft brass would then compress back to the correct size.

or it might just have been a duff size from the factory.
    I sized 25 cases and 24 were good and this one was the odd one out and I don't use lube when sizing. Maybe annealing is what is needed or as you say just a duff case.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    but could it be that on one sizing there has been excess lube or other contamination on the internal expander, so it has opened the case too wide,
    If he is using a Redding Comp neck die, he wont be using the expander rod.

I think its about "spring or elasticity of the brass", some wont just quite do it or dont after a few use's.

I've been re using hornady and sako factory brass an like you just neck sizing, i'm finding the odd one now and again does this, also some seem to start off ok when seating the bullet, then as the bullet gets further in sort of looses some of the ten shone
    I think annealing gives back some of this "spring/elasticity ?

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Quote Originally Posted by dicehorn View Post
    If he is using a Redding Comp neck die, he wont be using the expander rod.
    That looks like the answer to me. An expander is a far more reliable way to set the neck I/D than a die that only works on the O/D. The latter depends entirely on consistent wall thickness, and that's one of the more difficult things for the manufacturer - and the subsequent reloader - to maintain.

Oh, and annealing removes spring back and elasticity - it doesn't give it back.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_shooter View Post
    Lapua cases from new, .223, fired 5 times. When I neck size this case using a Redding competition bushing neck sizing die it will not size the same as the others. This one comes out 0.219 inches internal diameter, 0.250 inches external diameter compared to the others 0.212 and 0.244 inches (I am using a .245 bushing). I first noticed it when I seated the bullet, the seating did not feel right as the bullet went in too easily and measurements showed that the bullet had seated much too deep. Tried neck sizing a couple of times but no improvement. Only one case at the moment but looking for advice should others develop the same problem Any suggestions as to why this is happening?
    I suggest you are using way to much neck tension, whether your problem is a result of this is debatable, however looking at your figures pushing a .224" diametre bullet into a case with an ID of .212" gives you .012" of neck tension way to much, even the instructions with your bushing dies state to select a bush only .003" smaller then the loaded round neck diametre which with Lapua brass is .253"

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    I suggest you are using way to much neck tension, whether your problem is a result of this is debatable, however looking at your figures pushing a .224" diametre bullet into a case with an ID of .212" gives you .012" of neck tension way to much, even the instructions with your bushing dies state to select a bush only .003" smaller then the loaded round neck diametre which with Lapua brass is .253"

TB.
    Yes, 2 or 3 thou interference on the neck fit is quite enough, especially in small calibres. I was thinking the OP was probably neck-expanding as a separate op.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    Yes, 2 or 3 thou interference on the neck fit is quite enough, especially in small calibres. I was thinking the OP was probably neck-expanding as a separate op.
    Not neck expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post

TB.
    That is a very useful post, thank you. New .250 bushing needs to be ordered I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_shooter View Post
    That is a very useful post, thank you. New .250 bushing needs to be ordered I think.
    Im using a .249" bush in wilson dies but i have taken a slight neck turn clean up cut.

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    ten shone
    What?

tac