Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat head pellets for 25 yard bench rest

Flat head pellets for 25 yard bench rest

Our club have just entered a particular 25 yard bench rest competition.

Many of the shooters will use .22 rimfire but I like to use my .177 air rifle.

In this competition air rifles are allowed in .22 and .177 calibre. However, unusually, the rules state that 'flat head' pellets must be used.

I didn't have much confidence in the potential accuracy of flat head pellets at that range and some initial testing seems to bear out those doubts.

Should I continue testing out various flat head varieties or give up?

I doubt a flat head pellet is capable of performing as accurately at that distance as the domed shape. For other BR competitions I like to use the domed JSB Exact Premiums.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated..

flat head pellets

I have been using .22 hobby pellets down my garden range which is lasered 27yds, and the results are superb, I am not a target shooter but these are very accurate on the vermin that enter my garden and that do not fly out, or run i.e squiders,all head shot, but my garden is enclosed with trees and shrubs so no wind probs.try them also the light weight of them makes them flat shooting.
    MK1 7/12 14" CZ barrel. , Dustin mod.Kevg reg. Bb valve , titanium tube, bushy legend. MK2 177,Kevg reg.silent pip,MK4 trigger,Bucketboy shroud.ssg spring, Nikon monarch

Flat head pellets for 25 yard bench rest

Try H&N match I always got exellent results at 25-30 yards with them. The only problem I can forsee is some wadcutters don't load well in bolt action pcp's,( they can snag when entering the barrel causing damage to the heads ruing accuracy) what rifle will you be using? Mag or single shot?
    Last edited by junglie; 26-10-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Using a Steyr Lg110Ft

JSB Match wadcutters are worth a go - available in assorted weights and head sizes. I found the 'Yellow' (8.02 grain) worked well at 25 yards...

Flat head accuracy at 25 yards?

Tried JSB Match Premium flat head 8.02 g and they did not compare well with JSB Exact Premium, dome shape.

Trying out a few other types today, H&N and other good quality flat heads from my 10M rifle selection.

All other things being equal, I'm not convinced that a flat head pellet is capable of the accuracy of a dome head at that range.

Sorry

Forgot to say, using a single shot Steyr LG 110 at about 11 ft lb, give or take, and shooting indoors, bench rest.

I recently entered a 20 yard pistol competition. In practice (I went to pot in competition nowt new there ) I scored six tens out of 10 shots. Thats single handed with a pistol.
    The pellets I use are RWS Basics. Far cheaper than R10s (they dont all come from Jerusalem ) but with equal quality.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

It is unusual for the rules to specify flat head pellets, especially if you are competing in the same league against rimfires.

There was a time when the NSRA rule was capable of being interpreted this way.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Sundance,

Have you tried using 'harder' pellets such as RWS R10 or Meisterkugeln ?

And compare the 'harder' pellets with 'softer' pellets such as the JSB Match ?

Are you using a PCP or springer, and what is the power output for your rifle ?

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Feeling bit better now.

Thanks for the input folks.

Was feeling rather negative about the prospects of competing in this comp and having to use a pellet shape that would be new to me at this distance. The initial testing was poor and confidence sapping.

I can't really get my head around a flat head projectile having great accuracy despite having used them in 10M stuff.

Anyway, had a better day today with some far more encouraging results and thanks to these messages and suggestions I'm feeling a little more upbeat about giving the comp a go and further testing.

Cheers
    Simon

Sorry

Forgot to say, using a single shot Steyr LG 110 PCP at about 11 ft lb, give or take, and shooting indoors, bench rest.

Tested other pellets today again at about 11 ft lb.

I'm using .22 RWS Super H Hollowpoints for rat blatting. I've found they were actually quite good out to 30-35M. I'm mostly shooting the rodents at less than 20M, usually a lot less so I've never bothered to explore further, but they could be worth a look. The headshape, not the classic wadcutter, may rule them out, but as I said, maybe worth a look & they're not expensive.

The only success I've had with wadcutters are with a 95 hw22 shooting hobbies superbly at 25 yards ,9.2supermags out of 177 hw pcp.Oh and rws 8.2wadcutters out of hw30s. All my other faddlings have proved futile at decent range.

hi try some rws supermags. atb mick