Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat head pellets for 25 yard bench rest

Anybody have any info on this please?

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....enchrest/page2

Just browsing on here and came across this.

yorkshire league rules
    I have just had a discussion with the Secretary of the Yorkshire Smallbore League during which we discussed the rule for wadcutter only pellets for air rifles
    He informed me that the Yorkshire League will now allow round headed pellets to be used in benchrest competitions. The rulebook will (I would think)be updated accordingly.
    This brings their rules into line with NSRA rules other than their targets are very similar to the UKBR22 targets and are scored to give a possibility of 11 points/shot.
    hold me back !!

Can it be that the rule on flat head pellets is no longer being applied?

Update on Flat head pellet rules for Yorkshire Benchrest rules

Just had confirmation from Mr Mike Barnett, the Secretary of the Yorkshire Small-Bore Rifle & Pistol Association.

The flat head pellet rule no longer applies and the rule book is being updated.

Much relieved as flat head pellets do not seem to be capable of good accuracy at 25 yards.

Hope this helps anyone starting this particular Winter league.
    Simon

Pleased to hear it. I hoped and guessed that might be the outcome.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Really interesting thread this as i shoot indoor comps at 30yrds.the comps are that close 1 missed bull can be the difference on winning or losing.now ive gone through virtually every pellet on the marked and have set on aa diablos in 4.52 but ive always wandered about wadcutters as its a much cleaner hole(there has nearly been fights over this) haha with the paper ripping with normal dome pellets.

Flat heads are basically no different to any other.

Generally, they do not hold accuracy over range compared to domes but like all rules, there might be exceptions depending on barrel and pellet match.

For a 25 yard comp...it would not be my first point of call especially if it isn't indoors.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Hi Sundance, i dont think you will find any wadcutter that will be accurate enough over 25yds out of a 10ft lbs or so air rifle.
    At my club we have been shooting in two leagues,Yorkshire County and Leeds and district for about 4-5yrs now,we tried wadcutters but no joy at all, my AA S400 wouldnt shoot anywhere near acurately enough to even consider taking part,the original rule was wadcutters but the rimfire shooters could select the .22 that gave the best result and we shoot the same target same league!
    The rules were made by prone rifle shooters with big heavy rifles and no recoil and they adapted the rules from the NSRA which stipulated wadcutters for air rifles in competition, anyway thats out of the window now as the NSRA rule book stated that .177 wadcutter style pellets for Sport air Rifle should be used,but the line immediatley under that now states " a lead projectile", and the majority of us use AA Fields size 4.52.the dome pellet gives the best result at distance.
    Your chances of finding a wadcutter that will remove the 2mm centre ring are about zilch!
    What league are you entering?
    The Leeds and District last season had around 70 air rifle entrants,there were around 30 divs. of 6 shooting thats 180 competitors,apart from an odd smattering in one or two mid divisions most of the lower 8 or 9 divisions are air powered,of course we dont know what air rifles are being used,but if my club is anything to go by the S400 is in the ascendancy,we have 11 entrants for this winter league, 2 x.22 rimfires and 9 air, 6 have S400 or variant of,1 x Daystate,2 x HW100.
    The Leeds comp prefixes air shooters names with a letter A,makes it more fun if you have beaten a rimfire!but mainly to know how you are doing against other air shooters?until the prefix letter came into use you had no idea what you were shooting against.
    Unfortunately Yorkshire County have refused to do the same?
    There are certainly enough air entrants to form a seperate competition but of course a person would have to be found to run the it,everything being run on a volunteer basis of course.
    regards
    Don

Many years ago the pellet of choice for the lads I when't out with was the RWS Hobby. Guns would be either Original 45 or HW80 both in .22
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

I know a response is now redundant but I did some pellet tests on my tuned hatsan 55s yesterday. It was a little windy....

I tried some wadcutters just for the hell of it really but at 35yds Meisterkugeln put in sub 25mm ctc 10 shot groups and RWS Basic were not far behind - I was quite surprised - they would be OK for hunting at that range. Hobby were less good. I did not try at 25m as I was looking for a pellet to use for HFT and wanted the longer range to expose the best pellet but I suspect the Meisterkugeln would be OK (the ones I used were the rifle version) at 25m. They performed a lot better than some domes I tried...
    Stretching the range to 40yds things began to open up.

However the winner was H&N FTT with JSB exact RS very close behind.

Cheers

Frog
    Last edited by Frog; 24-10-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Been shooting the WRSA, Northumberland and Cumbria, the Cambridge and now this Winter the Ulster and also the Yorkshire. I'm nicely settled on a favourite domed pellet of choice but I had never even considered trying out a flat head at 25 yards for bench rest.

Having now tried a few makes of flat head in (as it turned out pointless) preparation for the Yorkshire I was pretty convinced in my own mind that seeking accuracy from that shape projectile, compared to a domed head was likely to be futile. So it turned out in my limited testing. Some were better than others but still some distance off from my preferred dome pellet of preference.

I learned little from the exercise. It seems to me that it is no surprise that an obviously non aerodynamic shape performs poorly when compared to a dome shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    Been shooting the WRSA, Northumberland and Cumbria, the Cambridge and now this Winter the Ulster and also the Yorkshire. I'm nicely settled on a favourite domed pellet of choice but I had never even considered trying out a flat head at 25 yards for bench rest.

Having now tried a few makes of flat head in (as it turned out pointless) preparation for the Yorkshire I was pretty convinced in my own mind that seeking accuracy from that shape projectile, compared to a domed head was likely to be futile. So it turned out in my limited testing. Some were better than others but still some distance off from my preferred dome pellet of preference.

I learned little from the exercise. It seems to me that it is no surprise that an obviously non aerodynamic shape performs poorly when compared to a dome shape.
    These wadcutters are strange beasties!
    I started off in Yorkshire BR with a Falco FN19 in .22 and eventually found the most accurate pellet to suit was a JSB Jumbo wadcutter!
    When i changed to a AA S400 it did not like wadcutters at all,finally settled on AA Fields,
    I recently purchased a Gamo 440 Hunter .22 and did the initial settling in with a Very Old tin of Hobby's,they were remarkably accurate!through a chrono the rifle is running at 11.3 ft lb's and Hobby would give some very good groups,i then went onto test various different brands,some would not go in the breech,some were very tight but the most comfortable fit have turned out to be AA Fields again,either 5.51 or 5.52 giving same size groups ,the good old Hobby being good enough to become the "control"pellet, it leaves one hell of a big hole in a BR target though, the Fields hole is barely larger than a .177.
    At our club some of us with springers are having some fun by shooting an inter club BR comp,using fully recoiling springers and the Yorkshire BR target, the front rest can be whatever your rifle is comfortable with and the non shooting hand supporting the lower underside rear of the stock, now that is a challenge!! but great fun and although we all shoot PCP in the Leeds postal league we have found this to be really challenging ,scores are up and down like a yoyo,but when you get everything right(and there is so much to get right with a springer)the degree of satisfaction is enormous .
    I use a Walther terrus in .177 shooting its preferred 4.52 Falcon Accuracy Plus.must admit i havn't tried a wadcutter,yet!
    In our group we have two HW98's,one AA TX200 and an LGV.
    BR is addictive!
    Don

No recoil? (post #21)

Hi Don, as a prone small-bore rifle shooter for over 40 years, I am not sure I would agree with your comment (post #21), re heavy rimfire rifles having no recoil.I dabbled with benchrest about 10-12 years ago via the UKBR22, with some success, so have taken BR up again this winter (NSRA) as the onset of a cataract in my right eye is causing problems with aperture sights. NSRA rules dictate front rest only, non-trigger hand can support the butt of the rifle. UKBR22 rules (rear sandbag allowed) much easier!

I appreciate that the recoil is negligible compared to a centrefire, but it's enough to make me think of getting a pcp. What would you recommend? I have read that it needs to be regulated, for consistency over the course of fire. Steyr LG110 bit out of my budget, I'm afraid.

Walter

BR with a springer !!

A springer only BR league

Now that's a league I'd like to have a go at!!

It would be a time thief though.

Any restrictions on stock weight?