Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper/cardboard for home printed targets

Paper/cardboard for home printed targets

I'm doing a fair bit of shooting at the mo but when the groups are tight (not that often...) the normal printer paper tears and it is difficult to see defined holes in the target.

Does anyone know where I can get A4 size 'target quality' paper/card?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I'm doing a fair bit of shooting at the mo but when the groups are tight (not that often...) the normal printer paper tears and it is difficult to see defined holes in the target.

Does anyone know where I can get A4 size 'target quality' paper/card?

Thanks in advance
    Any craft shop, I would think.......but it will probably be expensive. Have you looked on E8ay - Item Number 310350847179, for example?

On the other hand, just type in the E8ay search field "shooting paper targets" and you can save your printer and ink.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 22-10-2016 at 04:13 AM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Paper

Just bought 100 sheets of 300 gram a4 card, e bay for just over £6.very good as backing support for a4 paper printed with your choice of target. Best is corregated cardboard, I save any boxes the family receive then cut them down to a4 size, all free just costs a bit of my time. Each card lasts ages before needing changing.

Target card is deliberately made with short strand fibres so that a clean hole is punched. Most other card has long strand fibres as the objective is to provide strength.

Lots of targets and target holders are 17cm x 17cm which means you can only get one out of a single A4 sheet, and by the time you've paid for the wastage it's often just as economic to buy ready-made targets.

For example, you can get competition quality 17 x 17 targets with one large roundel, the type as used for 10 metre Pistol, for about £30 a thousand, three pence each.

On a certain auction site you can buy a roll of self adhesive spots of various sizes and colours, if you wish to stick some on the back of these pistol targets, and they cost something like £3 for a thousand or more spots. It's as cheap to do that as it is to use a marker pen.

With the price of inkjet cartridges, don't even think about printing your own.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Another for pistol targets and self adhesive stickers. My work mates also keep the cardboard packaging from new shirts for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Target card is deliberately made with short strand fibres so that a clean hole is punched. Most other card has long strand fibres as the objective is to provide strength.

Lots of targets and target holders are 17cm x 17cm which means you can only get one out of a single A4 sheet, and by the time you've paid for the wastage it's often just as economic to buy ready-made targets.

For example, you can get competition quality 17 x 17 targets with one large roundel, the type as used for 10 metre Pistol, for about £30 a thousand, three pence each.

On a certain auction site you can buy a roll of self adhesive spots of various sizes and colours, if you wish to stick some on the back of these pistol targets, and they cost something like £3 for a thousand or more spots. It's as cheap to do that as it is to use a marker pen.

I've scaling down 'practical' targets to 25 yd and printing on A4 size so I do need to print from my laser/ink printers and it is indeed the short strand fibre paper/card that I'm after. There are no commercially available targets that are suitable (as I've scaled a number of them down to a fraction of their 100/200/300/400/500/600 yd size etc but I suppose I could buy larger NSRA targets and cut them to A4 size which is what my targets are scaled to. ( eg triple Fig 11s at 500 yd are only 2.6 inches or so in width at 25 yds and I print 4 or 5 on one A4 sheet - I guess it's not possible then to buy the short strand fibre card in A4 size. I'll search for that in a minute.

Short strand fibre card is the key 'name' that I was looking for. Thanks.

Thanks for all the responses.

That is really interesting and makes perfect sense. Apologies to the OP for giving you a bum steer with the A4 card.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    That is really interesting and makes perfect sense. Apologies to the OP for giving you a bum steer with the A4 card.
    No need for an apology. Thanks for showing an interest.

Upon reflection, I will check the size of the 25m precision targets, probably close to A4, and buy some of these to print my targets on the back. I can get at least 5 of my targets per A4 sheet so 50 pellets per sheet is very economic for me!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    If you've got a picture framer nearby, they may want to get rid of Mount board offcuts. Stick your targets on, it's ideal.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

On a side note, where is the cheapest place to buy say 300 10m pistol targets ?

M.D.F. off the back of kitchen cubbarts

HI, I found M.D.F. off the back of kitchen cubbarts is the best white with orange 8ml stickers on and shoot just above , a defnate hole , no tares like paper, ATB bob

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    On a side note, where is the cheapest place to buy say 300 10m pistol targets ?
    Our club has imported them from Germany. I think you will find that Harry Preston of Steyr UK also keeps stocks of 10m pistol targets, and the last time I enquired they were about £30 a thousand. Google Steyr UK for contact details.

Edit: here you go, Krüger.

http://targets.krueger-shops.eu/sch_...VNXCy&saSearch[category]=Air+pistol+10+m
    Last edited by Rich; 22-10-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Our club has imported them from Germany. I think you will find that Harry Preston of Steyr UK also keeps stocks of 10m pistol targets, and the last time I enquired they were about £30 a thousand. Google Steyr UK for contact details.
    Cheers Rich :-)

I've currently got a lot of plasterboard off cuts stashed in a dry corner for mounting targets on, I use either Shoot-n-see 25mm discs, or as Rich noted above, self adhesive 'dots' which are meant for putting prices on things in shops. About 99p for 500 10mm diameter if I remember rightly. I get black ones, presumably so up market outlets write the price in silver ink.
    Your problem appears to be that the pellet holes are too ragged for accurate scoring, I would suggest shooting a smaller group on each target, 5 not 10, & use flat nosed pellets which were actually designed to address this issue. Another thing, if the paper is damp it's more prone to tearing so store it somewhere toasty, like the airing cupboard.

I use 160g/m2 (or heavier) A4 card from either Sainsburys or Staples, £3-ish for 250 sheets, & use "PrintTargets.net" to design/print exactly what I want.