Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawke rifle scope prices

Hawke rifle scope prices

Afternoon all.

Last night I just missed out on a Sidewinder 4.5-14x42 on a certain auction site.

Today I looked at Uttings and I think the prices across the Hawke range have rocketed.

IIRC the 10x42 Sidewinder used to be £249.99 until only recently, but now it's £309.99! Similarly the 4.5-14 was £339.99, and now its £379.99!

I don't think I'm imagining it and could anyone please confirm this ; Also a valid excuse ( Brexit not allowed) for this price hike would be appreciated.

TIA and apologies if posted before

Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie123 View Post
    Afternoon all.

Last night I just missed out on a Sidewinder 4.5-14x42 on a certain auction site.

Today I looked at Uttings and I think the prices across the Hawke range have rocketed.

IIRC the 10x42 Sidewinder used to be £249.99 until only recently, but now it's £309.99! Similarly the 4.5-14 was £339.99, and now its £379.99!

I don't think I'm imagining it and could anyone please confirm this ; Also a valid excuse ( Brexit not allowed) for this price hike would be appreciated.

TIA and apologies if posted before

Charlie.
    I would guess at dollar price if they are made in China.

Just look at what has happened to the value of the pound against just about any other trading currency you can name - for whatever reason . Hawke may be based in the UK, but virtually all its parts and products come from abroad, mainly China. The pound is worth around 15% less against the Yuan than it was this time last year, and around 18% less against the US Dollar which is the basis of many trade arrangements. As the Americans say, you do the math....

Also a valid excuse ( Brexit not allowed)
    The price fairies, if not Brexit.

Together with any number of the usual suspects - producer price rise, etc
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Still £249 at optics warehouse

Pete
    Pete

It's not just scopes. One air rifle I bought last year at £180 is now £210.

This might be a case where its best to buy from a smaller shop with less turnover. If they have new-old stock they might be at the older prices still...

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    The price fairies, if not Brexit.

Together with any number of the usual suspects - producer price rise, etc
    I'd certainly go along with that especially in Hawke's case. If you look at the Falcon optics range for example, there hasn't been any price increase on the 4-14 and 4-18 scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    It's not just scopes. One air rifle I bought last year at £180 is now £210.

This might be a case where its best to buy from a smaller shop with less turnover. If they have new-old stock they might be at the older prices still...

Not really if the old stock gets sold at the "old" price and has to be replaced with new stock the shop needs "more money" to buy it at the new prices. A smaller business may not have that sort of readily available funds to do this. They would need to cover the price rise by increasing their current stock prices as soon as they are notified of the new prices by the supplier. The bigger shops/suppliers may have enough of the old priced stock to wait and see if the prices revert as the dollar/euro/pound settles back to where it was before. I know of at least one optics company that held it's prices for nearly 4 months to see if the market would settle but it hasn't so they have increased their prices by nearly 10%.

Gunshop i use(Range & country of Sleaford) warned me a few weeks ago that hawke prices were going up, as i wanted a sidewinder, which was at £280, couldn't afford it & its now £320, they also told me that hawke have a strict pricing policy.

Rob

I'd certainly go along with that especially in Hawke's case. If you look at the Falcon optics range for example, there hasn't been any price increase on the 4-14 and 4-18 scopes.
    It all depends on whether Falcon are selling old stock - well, pre-referendum stock, quite possible - or not.

If Hawke have just bought in their scopes recently they had to pay more for them in STG even if the $ price stayed the same.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I am not quite sure who the hell is in charge of our banks, finance, economy or whatever the hell they call themselves but a country, UK, who's economy grew 0.5% in the 3 months post Brexit despite all the predictions of doom and gloom now has her currency almost at parity with the worthless Euro that is the currency of European countries that with the exception of Germany, are all economically near bankrupt or fast getting there.
    If someone could explain this to me how this might be possible then I would be grateful, really. To my mind all the same institutions that were trying to prevent the Brexit are now putting pressure on the people by artificially squeezing the currency. That is what I think but then again I am just a simple man.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I am not quite sure who the hell is in charge of our banks, finance, economy or whatever the hell they call themselves but a country, UK, who's economy grew 0.5% in the 3 months post Brexit despite all the predictions of doom and gloom now has her currency almost at parity with the worthless Euro that is the currency of European countries that with the exception of Germany, are all economically near bankrupt or fast getting there.
    If someone could explain this to me how this might be possible then I would be grateful, really. To my mind all the same institutions that were trying to prevent the Brexit are now putting pressure on the people by artificially squeezing the currency. That is what I think but then again I am just a simple man.

A.G
    It's nothing to do with OUR banks, it's all down to foreign currency dealers who gamble on the international money markets & the computer models they use.

The big hit the £ took a few weeks back was caused by someone in the far east market selling low, which caused an automatic computer program to trigger a mass sell off because it thought the value was dropping, when it was actually that triggered sell off that caused the value to drop

classic catch 22.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It's nothing to do with OUR banks, it's all down to foreign currency dealers who gamble on the international money markets & the computer models they use.

The big hit the £ took a few weeks back was caused by someone in the far east market selling low, which caused an automatic computer program to trigger a mass sell off because it thought the value was dropping, when it was actually that triggered sell off that caused the value to drop

classic catch 22.
    No it really wasn't. That took it lower than it was for a bit. The chunk drops have been Brexit, and when it looked like we'd have a hard Brexit, which the money markets think devalues the £. Because if it was a glitch then everyone would realise it was and buy into it at a cheap rate driving up the value once again.

A.G
    I think you'll find our economy is near bankrupt too - it seems most of our growth is bought with more and more borrowing, despite talk of austerity.

But it does seem likely that most imports - scopes, pellets etc. will inevitably rise in price in the future

....currency almost at parity with the worthless Euro that is the currency of European countries that with the exception of Germany, are all economically near bankrupt or fast getting there.
    If someone could explain this to me how this might be possible then I would be grateful, really.
    Put simply....

http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/de.../unitedkingdom