Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper/cardboard for home printed targets

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    .....Your problem appears to be that the pellet holes are too ragged for accurate scoring, I would suggest shooting a smaller group on each target, 5 not 10, & use flat nosed pellets which were actually designed to address this issue. Another thing, if the paper is damp it's more prone to tearing so store it somewhere toasty, like the airing cupboard.
    The competition that I'm practising for is a 10 shot stage so I need to shoot 10 shots. Good point re flat noses. I use those for 10 m but didn't think to try them at longer distance. Does anyone know how they would do at 25 yd?

Can't use hard board as my target backing is a box which starts with carpet to minimise noise as 100 shots per day on a hard target back may draw unwanted attention...

Does anyone know the size of the 25m 22LR 10 target 'sheet's. From memory it appears to be A4 ish size but I haven't been able to get the exact dimensions.

Hi,

I just replied to a thread about wadcutters at 25m.
    With regards to card I find cheap pound land card - £1 for 30 sheets of light card works ok for wadcutters at rifle velocities. I put the card target directly on to of a card board box back stop. Using a pistol not so good - the lower velocity does not lead to clean holes. One important thing is not to get card so heavy your printer can not handle it!

Paper designed for water colour painting may be worth a try if not prohibitively expensive.

Frog

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    The competition that I'm practising for is a 10 shot stage so I need to shoot 10 shots. Good point re flat noses. I use those for 10 m but didn't think to try them at longer distance. Does anyone know how they would do at 25 yd?

Can't use hard board as my target backing is a box which starts with carpet to minimise noise as 100 shots per day on a hard target back may draw unwanted attention...

Does anyone know the size of the 25m 22LR 10 target 'sheet's. From memory it appears to be A4 ish size but I haven't been able to get the exact dimensions.
    You really need something behind the card to support it if you want crisp clean holes,
    I use 8mm T&G cladding (because I've got loads) & plastic spring clips to hold the card & I've noticed that once the cladding starts getting shot-out behind the card, the pellet/bullet holes get a lot more ragged than they are with fresh backing.

Blu-Tak

I run my targets off on the photocopier on ordinary paper, and then I stick a blob of Blu-Tak or the cheaper equivalent from Poundshops on the back of it to cover the black. Even a full power pistol won't send the pellets through that, with the added advantage that it arrests the pellet exactly where it hits. It makes perfectly punched holes when using wadcutters which are dead easy to score. When you've finished with the target, roll the Blu-Tak off and stick it on the next one...

Works for me.

Bonedome.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    My kids eat cheerios for breakfast. Which is handy as the front of the cereal packet has loads of small rounds cheerios printed on it. The centre holes are about 6mm. I think they were made for the job
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have started experimenting with sticking black printed centres onto lining paper. Not ideal as the printed paper and glue don't help with clean cut holes, but for sighting to a cross written with a marker pen, the lining paper does seem to make a reasonable substitute.
    When I get chance, I am going to see if I can run a sheet through the printer.
    Hope it doesn't jam, I will be in the dog-house if it wrecks the printer...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I have started experimenting with sticking black printed centres onto lining paper. Not ideal as the printed paper and glue don't help with clean cut holes, but for sighting to a cross written with a marker pen, the lining paper does seem to make a reasonable substitute.
    When I get chance, I am going to see if I can run a sheet through the printer.
    Hope it doesn't jam, I will be in the dog-house if it wrecks the printer...
    Excellent offer on Canon wifi printers at PC World £29.95 complete with cartridges if needed!!!!!!!!
    Don.

I've often wondered if the 'sugar paper' (aka construction paper) we used to use at school would be any good? I seem to remember it being coarse, short fibre wood-pulp paper.

Peter

When I'm out of paper targets I use any old bit of card and then use a permanent marker to draw some 1p sized dots. cheap and cheerful.

I think the 25m .22lr targets have about 2" diameter black sections and are about A4 sized, maybe a bit wider.

To be honest I would not bother on auction sites for the best card, contact either a paper supplier or a printing company and explain the type of card you need, most companies will send you or collect from them, a sample of the card they have.

The advantage of getting it from a printer is that they will be able to cut it to the size you require and as most of the card supplied is in SrA2 or SrA1 size, waste can be reduced to a minimum.

Phil

Thanks all

Noticed yesterday that by attaching the target on top of the previous one ie with a 'backing', the holes were less prone to ripping. This may be an easy workaround and (an extra sheet of paper) being relatively 'non-hard' vs MDF etc, the noise of the pellet striking the paper isn't significantly increased.

Have yourselves a great weekend.

How about baking foil laminated to the paper? Spray mount adhesive.

Each target will then only cost you about three times the price of buying a ready-made one.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I'm doing a fair bit of shooting at the mo but when the groups are tight (not that often...) the normal printer paper tears and it is difficult to see defined holes in the target.

Does anyone know where I can get A4 size 'target quality' paper/card?

Thanks in advance
    I just get the wife to save all the empty cardboard boxes from food i.e. Pizza, cakes, frozen food, etc. cut to target size then draw circles, dots etc costs zero just a few mins. In time

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    how about baking foil laminated to the paper? Spray mount adhesive.

Each target will then only cost you about three times the price of buying a ready-made one.
    :d:d:d
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.