Thread: HW97k .22

HW97k .22

Hi,
    Been out doing some test shooting of my HW97k, the accupell's which used to go through my HW100kt so well didn't impress.
    So I tried some JSB jumbo diabolo 1,030g 15,89 gr 5.2mm that a friend said go well through his HW97 silver version.
    I saw a improvement good enough to send me off to the gun shop.
    I was happy with the way I was going by home time, so I thought lets have a look, to my amazement it says on the tin 1,030 g 15.89 gr cal .22 5.5mm.
    on the back of the tin there is a red paper label saying 50062216 then under that number there is 3 5.52,
    Not sure whats exactly in the tin, do I need to measure with a Vernier gauge, do you think the 5.2 on the red lable over rides the 5.5 on the front of the tin.
    My friends did say 5.2 on the front. I know you can get them In differing gauges
    What do you guy's think.
    Ive looked on the Beeman leaflet that came with the rifle but it only gives pellet sizes for .177 and .20

Cheers Tez
    Bubba when I get home Im gonna kick your mamas ass. Why Daddy. Cos son, sure as hell, you never came from my loins.

Quote Originally Posted by tezzyclayt View Post
    Hi,
    Been out doing some test shooting of my HW97k, the accupell's which used to go through my HW100kt so well didn't impress.
    So I tried some JSB jumbo diabolo 1,030g 15,89 gr 5.2mm that a friend said go well through his HW97 silver version.
    I saw a improvement good enough to send me off to the gun shop.
    I was happy with the way I was going by home time, so I thought lets have a look, to my amazement it says on the tin 1,030 g 15.89 gr cal .22 5.5mm.
    on the back of the tin there is a red paper label saying 50062216 then under that number there is 3 5.52,
    Not sure whats exactly in the tin, do I need to measure with a Vernier gauge, do you think the 5.2 on the red lable over rides the 5.5 on the front of the tin.
    My friends did say 5.2 on the front. I know you can get them In differing gauges
    What do you guy's think.
    Ive looked on the Beeman leaflet that came with the rifle but it only gives pellet sizes for .177 and .20

Cheers Tez
    JSB only usually but 5.5mm on the front and the small label on the back shows the final size.

I promise you it doesn't say 5.2mm on your friend's tin - unless it's a misprint. Look again...

So I can take it that these are in fact 5.52?

Thanks
    Bubba when I get home Im gonna kick your mamas ass. Why Daddy. Cos son, sure as hell, you never came from my loins.

So I can take it that these are in fact 5.52?
    Yes...

the 5.52 is supposed to indicate the head size of those pellets .

many people now regard this reference as inaccurate and meaningless .
    there are a few threads on various forums explaining jsb pellet codes , but the rule of thumb seems to be ...

if you find a die and batch that goes well in your gun , ...buy plenty of them with exactly the same numbers on the sticker .another die or batch may behave differently

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    the 5.52 is supposed to indicate the head size of those pellets .

many people now regard this reference as inaccurate and meaningless .
    there are a few threads on various forums explaining jsb pellet codes , but the rule of thumb seems to be ...

if you find a die and batch that goes well in your gun , ...buy plenty of them with exactly the same numbers on the sticker .another die or batch may behave differently
    ^^^This, having wasted my time measuring head sizes on many different pellets from different tins and alleged sizes all I can say is go by the batch number when you find one that suits and buy as many as you can afford!

I recently got an older(1993)77k in 22, & that loves AA diablo fields in 5.52. My 100kt likes them, but prefers jsb/falcons in 13.43, no tried these in the 77 yet, as i'm running short & can't get any locally, but have some falcons on order.

Rob

HW97k .22

What is the purpose of jsb making a .22 pellet with two different head sizes 5.51 and 5.52, Am I right in thinking it is the skirt of the pellet that fits snuggly into the breech and not the head?
    cheers

What is the purpose of jsb making a .22 pellet with two different head sizes 5.51 and 5.52, Am I right in thinking it is the skirt of the pellet that fits snuggly into the breech and not the head?
    cheers
    I don't think they "make" them as such deliberately, I believe they come off the dies that way, each die having a different tolerance dependant on age and condition, but even then if you measure the head sizes they never equal the size on the tin anyway.

The skirt is not the critical part as it gets expanded under the air pressure, but you do want a consistent fit , it's the fit of the head in the rifling that is critical, you can feel how some pellets almost fall into the barrel and are held by the skirt whereas other can be plugged into the rifling and sit there with the skirt hanging out, you basically need a head size that fits the barrels rifling (which will have it's own manufacturing tolerance) not too tight not too slack, but, the real issue is not the pellet size, it's the group size, test a few and find the one that works, regardless of what's on the tin, once you have found the right ones, buy a load!

You guys need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol p View Post
    You guys need to get out more.
    A bold statement...