Thread: Webley Catalogue

Webley Catalogue

Hi,

A bit late as it has now been sold, but does anybody know why a rather average condition Webley catalogue (1959 ?) recently sold at internet auction for a whopping £87 with 22 bids ?

Item No was 291913123944

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian, that number brings up nothing.

Wow! I have a 1939 one - will that be worth thousands! Hahahahaha!

By the by, if anyone is interested I can do copies at at £10 posted (paper, laser stuff, envelopes etc).

And that number is wrong somewhere.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Hi Brian, that number brings up nothing.
    Hello David,

I don't believe the Item No link works once an item has been sold, but hoped somebody may have been watching this item before it sold.

Regards
    Brian

Hi Brian,

Prices for these catalogues tend to vary and clearly two people wanted this one.

I did notice one interesting point about the catalogue in that it includes the Webley Ranger. The date code on the back is for 1959, which conveniently places the introduction of the Ranger two years earlier than Chris Thrale's excellent book on Webley Air Rifles suggests.

Such is the world of collecting.

Kind regards,

John.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello David,

I don't believe the Item No link works once an item has been sold, but hoped somebody may have been watching this item before it sold.

Regards
    Brian
    To view the item, paste in the number and then search. This comes up with the message "No search results found". If you then click on the Completed Listings box on the left it will then take you to the item.

I must admit you don't see this brochure as often as you see the earlier ones.

I have a virtually mint unfolded unmarked example of that particular catalogue, wonder what that would fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    To view the item, paste in the number and then search. This comes up with the message "No search results found". If you then click on the Completed Listings box on the left it will then take you to the item.

I must admit you don't see this brochure as often as you see the earlier ones.
    Hello John,

Thanks for that tip which I'm sure will come in handy in the future.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Brian,

Prices for these catalogues tend to vary and clearly two people wanted this one.

I did notice one interesting point about the catalogue in that it includes the Webley Ranger. The date code on the back is for 1959, which conveniently places the introduction of the Ranger two years earlier than Chris Thrale's excellent book on Webley Air Rifles suggests.

Such is the world of collecting.

Kind regards,

John.
    Well spotted John. I guess this once again proves the value of catalogues etc in the pin pointing of the dates some of these products were first introduced.

I have a nice 1958 Webley Price & Component Parts list with a temporary paper label covering the old address and showing the new address of the company following its relocation.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I have a virtually mint unfolded unmarked example of that particular catalogue, wonder what that would fetch.
    I also have two mint, unfolded 1960 catalogues and one rather well-thumbed and tatty one dated 1957.
    In addition I have several letters and correspondence and invoices from Webley dated 1959 when they brazed a sling swivel eye to the cocking lever of my early mk3 (which I still own). I also have a number of letters from their Birmingham 4 & 21 addresses dated between 1955 and 1960 which came with a couple of mk3's I bought a few years ago from a relative of the deceased recipient.
    I suppose these must be worth something when related to the rifles for which Webley carried out work on; (provenance?).
    I also have letters and 1950's catalogues - Airsporters, Cadet, Cadet Majors etc and letters from BSA from the same era.
    Aubrey

$20 for the Cornell coloured copy!

Put your originals under glass and buy a 'reader' copy! ;-)

As has already been suggested, I guess this is just another example of two determined people after the same thing, but I still sometimes wonder if there is something subtle Iv'e missed which might justify the seemingly excessive price. I'm still amazed when these apparenly inexplicable 'Blips' occur however given the relative ease the internet provides in establishing both the rarity and average value of such items. I would have thought that anybody looking for something like this would have done at least some research to establish the best way of sourcing the item at reasonable cost. However, I'm also aware that auctions can be a gamble and gamblers can sometimes behave irrationally when the 'red mist' descends.

Regards

Brian

For someone like myself who doesn't attend Arms Fairs or shows, along with those that came with boxed pistols, more or less the only way to acquire such catalogues is through Eb@y, which is how I've compiled a collection of the Webley C67 catalogues ranging from January 1938 to February 1964, plus various other Webley tri folds and flyers.
    I did purchase most of them many years ago when most prices were of a more reasonable level, even those purchased from overseas.
    I've always been just as interested in catalogues, labels, swing tickets etc. as I have in the actual guns themselves, which is why I have ten bulky folders containing literature for Webley, BSA, Walther, Weihrauch, Crosman and a few other makers, along with Parker Hale and other loose catalogues.
    One or two of the more scarce catalogues have already gone to another serious collector, but I still have a lot more to go when I start advertising them.

At the last Brum, Tim Dyson had a range of these post war catalogues and at a lower price than the one which sold earlier this week.

John