Thread: Fas 604/6004 vs Fwb 65/80

Fas 604/6004 vs Fwb 65/80

I'm considering looking for a used FAS 604/new 6004 or a used FWB 65/80 for indoor practice use. I want something quiet which probably rules out a PCP. I currently use a Daisy 747 which fits the bill apart from the poor grip and weight/balance and as a result I don't particularly enjoy shooting it.

The FAS seems to be light with good grips but there may be an issue with seals on a used 604 and I've read of a number of quality control issues with the new 6004.

The FWB could be an option if I can get a good one but whilst the grips are much better than the Daisy I don't know if the weight and balance will be much different.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Having owned an 80 and a MKII 604, I would steer you towards the latter. The FAS looks great and is a joy to shoot due its grip and excellent trigger. IMO the 80 looks very dated and I found the cocking mech far from ergonomic especially over a 60+ shot session. The FAS I bought came to me under powered (despite the seller's assurances) so I had it resealed for £75 by Checkmate Guns of Chorley.

Excellent pistol that seduced me into 10m and led me on to investing in a Steyr LP2 Compact. The resale value of the FAS saw me lose nothing.

I'd go with the FAS personally, the 6004 is no comparison to the original, the MK2 604 is the best to go for, seals are easy to check, if the gun dosnt punch cleanly at 10mtr it need resealing, the other area to look at is the rear of the top strap, these could crack on early models, normally visible by looking on the underside of the strap just in front of the rear sight, look at the sides on the inside for any signs of cracking, if it's starting to go walk away, this issue was I believe resolved on the mk2,

Seals are easy to replace and cheap, I've just sold a mint mk2 for £290 but it was complete with balance weights, sight extender, good seals and unmoddified grip all cased, the buyer came round this morning tried it at 10mtr and instantly bought it, didn't even attempt to barter, but as mentioned it was in pristine condition both mechanically and cosmetically, more typically £200-£250 for a used one, less if worn or seals going. They're a delightful pistol to shoot.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Thanks both for the replies. It sounds like a good FAS Mk2 is the way to go. Nige your one sounded ideal, if I'd only seen it earlier!

If anyone has a near mint Mk2, ideally with case and accessories, then please get in touch.

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special
    I was about to put up a post, what is the difference between the 604 and the 6004??
    Are they basically the same?
    By the sounds of it the 604 mark 2 is the way to go, but why.
    Cheers
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

The 604 is made by FAS and superior in quality, basically an air version on their 602 .22 match pistol with all the quality of the original firearm, the 6004 is made by Chiappa, whilst I have not personally used one so can't speak from experience there have been numerous negative reports regarding quality and reliability, check reviews on google for feedback on both but for my money I'd rather a good used FAS to a later 6004 even is new, just my personal opinion however. The MK2 FAS604 is a gem of a pistol with the only likely issue being failing seals in older models bug this is the same with any airgun and not a reflection on their quality. Earlier MK1's were also good pistols but do check the top strap for any cracks on the inside, this was as far as I'm aware the only failing and was recognised and remedied on the MK2.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

The 604 originated in the 1970s which ceased production a few years ago. The 6004 is based on the same design but manufactured by a different company Chiappa Firearms on licence. It's basically the same gun but is mass produced with more pressed parts and less hand finishing than the original 604. The cost today is less than the FAS in its day.

A basic summary can be read here:

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shoo...essed-air-gun/

I also found this forum thread which is interesting and has comparison photos of the Mk1, Mk2 and 6004.

http://ttorg.targettalk.net/viewtopi...46533&p=221288

The Mark 2 604 appears to be a good choice as advised on here, as it still has the hand built finish but with a number of improvements over the Mk 1. Having said that if i don't find a good Mark 2, I may take a chance on the 6004 as it will be a new gun with a guarantee. If there are any quality control issues i can always return it for an exchange or refund.