Thread: Lee Lead Melting Pot

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

Lightbulb Lee Lead Melting Pot

Recently bought a used Lee Pro lead melting pot. Have cast bullets/balls for the ROA in the past but never using a Lee pot.
    Would welcome any advice. Things to do/not to do.
    What is the approximate best setting on the Lee thermostat for casting pure lead balls.
    Where can I buy a thermometer to measure the lead temp. They are readily available in USA but unable to find a supplier in the UK.

Many Thanks
    Al
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

Quote Originally Posted by AlBur View Post
    Recently bought a used Lee Pro lead melting pot. Have cast bullets/balls for the ROA in the past but never using a Lee pot.
    Would welcome any advice. Things to do/not to do.
    What is the approximate best setting on the Lee thermostat for casting pure lead balls.
    Where can I buy a thermometer to measure the lead temp. They are readily available in USA but unable to find a supplier in the UK.

Many Thanks
    Al
    Henry Krank has a lead thermometer - just be ready for the price. After the initial melt-down, mine likes to be set around 6 or so. Frosted ball is too hot, wrinkled ball is too cold. Remember to 'krank' it up when adding more lead, and then maybe lower it a notch after about ten minutes.

Flux is your friend - I use plain old beeswax, as a friend of ours has a bee.

tac

Have heard of people using heavy duty catering thermometers,maybe worth a search.

Al

Probe meters using a thermocouple available of eGay plus I would recommend you build yourself a PID controller (also cheap off eGay) and never look back.

T

I have a long stemmed cooking thermometer that came with a turkey broiler from Albuquerque which goes up to750f or 400c. The oven thermometer I've just looked at only goes up to 200c which is not high enough. There's quite a few on 'the bay' if you can find a high range one. To be honest though I just go for how the bullet looks when it's cast as mentioned above.

I'm not sure why Tac reckons on "kranking up" the thermostat though. It's a simple bi metal strip which is either on or off, turning it up will just raise the end temperature, not the power level.
    Last edited by DesG; 25-10-2016 at 06:51 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi