Thread: INFORMATION ABOUT 0.25 Cal AIRGUN.

INFORMATION ABOUT 0.25 Cal AIRGUN.

Hi, I'm after some info about 0.25 smoothbore airguns, I have a Millita which I would like to use for our Vintage Air rifle competition.
    Having measured the bore diameter it comes out at 0.257" (6.5278mm) both breech and muzzle.
    I have measured The pellets that I have, Pylarm, Rhino and H&N and all the head sizes are under that the largest being H&N at 0.2505" (6.3627mm)diameter and the Skirt diameter 0.258" (6.5532mm) all measuring done at several places to eliminate out of round and averaged, so at best a "Sloppy" fit!, so question?, is there a pellet that is larger than the ones I have that I could try or more important!, is there such a calibre as 6.5mm?.
    Unsurprisingly the H&N pellets group the best (approx 2"" at 18yds), The Knockover targets we use are 40mm diameter and set between 10 and 35yds.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, as I would like to be competative against those minuscule 0.177"!.

DaveM.

Hi Dave,

Some of the early continental Gem and Millita types were nearer to 6.5 than 6.35 mm as you have found out.

I am spoilt in that I can use the Lanes Patent Bullet Expander on the skirts of .25 Marksman pellets that I use in my oversize bores and my recommendation is you make/obtain something similar. There are plenty of engineers within our hobby and I think there is a market for a replica Lanes Expander or simply a ball upon which skirts may be placed and expanded.

Any takers?

Kind regards,

John

Thanks for that info John, I have already tried that method but was hoping that a brand of pellets were larger.
    I seem to remember that in a full set of Webley service barrels there was a similar pellet sizer as well, unfortunately I sold that back in the late fifty's.

Back to the drawing board!!!. Not beyond my ability to make something,
    Thanks again.
    DaveM.

Thumbs up

Hi

A while ago I bought a .177 Gem type action (Stock was completely missing!!) I also bought a .25 barrel with it which was lucky as when I tried stripping the action it was siezed solid and with having to force it I broke the trigger guard/Cocking link but there was one on the .25 barrel to save the day!!

I presume the Millitia isn't a Gem style (Could be though as i'm no expert!!), I'll see if I can find it and measure the bore to see if that's the same..

It's a bit rusty!!

Pic 1

Removed a heap of the rust!

Pic 2

Pic 2a

Had a go at reblueing with Ballistol Klever Blue!!

Pic 3

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Just found the barrel out-

Muzzle- .258"

Breech- .263"

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Seems like your barrel is larger bore diameter than mine!, Is it rifled?, Mine is smoothbored and very clean, I did wonder if it had been honed! But, according to the previous poster seems correct.
    The maker of mine is Freidrich Langenhan circa 1912, Millita registered!, so with all the info thus gained I intend to make a pellet re-sizer to increase the head and skirt diameter, let you know how I get on with that!.

DaveM.

Made a tool to flare the skirt and also enlarge the head, After many tests I could not find any improvement in accuracy but just a slight increase in velocity, I then just flared the skirt and again no improvement on accuracy but at least the pellets held in the breech without falling down the barrel so, reluctantly I'm giving up trying to improve accuracy.
    Will just have to let those rifle barrelled users scoff at my attempts to knock down the targets but at least I'm going to have a lot of fun doing it plus!, I have the perfect excuse now, that's number 952 in my book!😜
    Regards to all,
    DaveM.