Thread: buying another barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

buying another barrel

if i wanted to buy a new or second hand barrel to replace mine on my revolver ,would i need to get it as a variation on my cert first before replacement
    ballkeeper

You can legally buy and own a barrel blank (rifled tube) provided that it is not chambered to take a round, or is not closed at one end with a touch hole. This from my FEO when we were discussing the 50 cal cannon I'm making. By this logic as soon as you take the old barrel off it will cease to be a firearm part, and the new barrle will not become a firearm part until fitted to the frame.

Discuss!!!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

hi des
    so i could buy a s/hand barrel and just fit it to the old gun, destoy/chop the old one up
    ballkeeper

The UK firearms laws are so straitforward and simple to understand that that might well be the case, or not!!! You would invalidate the proof though.

I bet if you asked a dozen different FEO you would get as many different answers.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Problems I see that might muddy the waters are : Being a revolver barrel, it's not chambered and never will be.

If you are having a new barrel fitted by an RFD there's no paperwork required - he orders the barrel, you take your revolver to him, he repairs your revolver by fitting a new barrel - job done. (He would need to have it proofed)

If you wanted to order a new barrel to fit yourself - You would need to apply for a new slot for an extra barrel, buy the barrel, fit the barrel, keep the old barrel as a spare or dispose of the old barrel through an RFD, notify police and get it taken off your ticket.

Fitting a new barrel yourself, no proof needed until you sell it.

Just my thoughts, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Problems I see that might muddy the waters are : Being a revolver barrel, it's not chambered and never will be.

If you are having a new barrel fitted by an RFD there's no paperwork required - he orders the barrel, you take your revolver to him, he repairs your revolver by fitting a new barrel - job done. (He would need to have it proofed)

If you wanted to order a new barrel to fit yourself - You would need to apply for a new slot for an extra barrel, buy the barrel, fit the barrel, keep the old barrel as a spare or dispose of the old barrel through an RFD, notify police and get it taken off your ticket.

The above would apply to a rifle barrel which has the chamber cut into it, a revolver barrel does not have a chamber so is in fact only a rifled tube, the law allows you to possess rifled tubes without a FAC

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post

Legally you would not need it proofed but you would find problems trying to use a non proofed gun at any club that I know of. The club Insurance would be invalid for a start.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi