Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying another barrel

buying another barrel

if i wanted to buy a new or second hand barrel to replace mine on my revolver ,would i need to get it as a variation on my cert first before replacement
    ballkeeper

You can legally buy and own a barrel blank (rifled tube) provided that it is not chambered to take a round, or is not closed at one end with a touch hole. This from my FEO when we were discussing the 50 cal cannon I'm making. By this logic as soon as you take the old barrel off it will cease to be a firearm part, and the new barrle will not become a firearm part until fitted to the frame.

Discuss!!!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

hi des
    so i could buy a s/hand barrel and just fit it to the old gun, destoy/chop the old one up
    ballkeeper

The UK firearms laws are so straitforward and simple to understand that that might well be the case, or not!!! You would invalidate the proof though.

I bet if you asked a dozen different FEO you would get as many different answers.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Problems I see that might muddy the waters are : Being a revolver barrel, it's not chambered and never will be.

If you are having a new barrel fitted by an RFD there's no paperwork required - he orders the barrel, you take your revolver to him, he repairs your revolver by fitting a new barrel - job done. (He would need to have it proofed)

If you wanted to order a new barrel to fit yourself - You would need to apply for a new slot for an extra barrel, buy the barrel, fit the barrel, keep the old barrel as a spare or dispose of the old barrel through an RFD, notify police and get it taken off your ticket.

Fitting a new barrel yourself, no proof needed until you sell it.

Just my thoughts, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Problems I see that might muddy the waters are : Being a revolver barrel, it's not chambered and never will be.

If you are having a new barrel fitted by an RFD there's no paperwork required - he orders the barrel, you take your revolver to him, he repairs your revolver by fitting a new barrel - job done. (He would need to have it proofed)

If you wanted to order a new barrel to fit yourself - You would need to apply for a new slot for an extra barrel, buy the barrel, fit the barrel, keep the old barrel as a spare or dispose of the old barrel through an RFD, notify police and get it taken off your ticket.

The above would apply to a rifle barrel which has the chamber cut into it, a revolver barrel does not have a chamber so is in fact only a rifled tube, the law allows you to possess rifled tubes without a FAC

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    The above would apply to a rifle barrel which has the chamber cut into it, a revolver barrel does not have a chamber so is in fact only a rifled tube, the law allows you to possess rifled tubes without a FAC

TB.
    So why are barrels rfd to rfd only (you cannot have one posted to your house) you have to go to your local rfd to pick it up
    Thought revolver barrels have a forcing cone
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post

Legally you would not need it proofed but you would find problems trying to use a non proofed gun at any club that I know of. The club Insurance would be invalid for a start.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

think might scrap it instead,not sure what re proofing would cost

so getting a barrel reduced from 20inch down to 16in and recrowned need reproofin too ????
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 28-10-2016 at 09:08 AM.
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    So why are barrels rfd to rfd only (you cannot have one posted to your house) you have to go to your local rfd to pick it up
    Thought revolver barrels have a forcing cone
    If you are talking about rifle barrels that have been chambered then you are correct, however rifle barrel blanks be they contoured or not and even threaded are freely available and can be posted as long as they do not have a chamber, i have bought several the last one in April this year.

TB.

If a barrel is a pressure bearing part as a component of the firearm it is fitted to how does it cease to be a none FAC item when you take it off?

What you are saying is that when I handed in my .357" Smith & Wesson when they were banned I could have taken the barrel off and kept it?
    Or, when you scrap a gun you can saw off the barrel in front of the chamber and keep it?

I'm interested in your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    If you are talking about rifle barrels that have been chambered then you are correct, however rifle barrel blanks be they contoured or not and even threaded are freely available and can be posted as long as they do not have a chamber, i have bought several the last one in April this year.

TB.
    let me get this straight, you can buy a barrel and have it sent to your house but not a silencer/moderater.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

What I said earlier was

"The UK firearms laws are so straitforward and simple to understand that that might well be the case, or not!!! I bet if you asked a dozen different FEOs you would get as many different answers. "

There was a stall at last year's gunshow selling a whole selection of old mods as paperweights. So yes you probably could have a mod sent through the post provided you had no intention of using it on a firearms. I never said any of it makes sense!!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    let me get this straight, you can buy a barrel and have it sent to your house but not a silencer/moderater.
    You can buy a non chambered barrel blank and have it sent to your house, until it is chambered it is not regarded as a FAC regulated part because it is not capable of discharging a projectile, it is in fact only a rifled tube.
    Moderators are a grey area because they are regarded as an accessory to a firearm, they cant really be classed as a firearm in their own right, the ridiculousness of the situation is that you can buy a SAC mod for your air rifle but want to purchase it for your 22LR it has to be entered against an authority to posses on your FAC so basically they are saying it depends on what you want to put the mod on that dictates whether it is a Section 1 firearm or not

TB.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    I would have thought proofing was for a "closed" component like a canon or a chambered rifle barrel. How can you proof a revolver barrel that's just a tube open at both ends? Just asking.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.