Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long range 357 magnum - bullet weight?

I did a lot of .357 long range shooting back in the day with a six inch barrel ruger with mixed results. I entered the Phoenix shoot for underlevers this year with my Marlin 1894c. At 100 yards it's suprissingly accurate but it becomes quite vague as the range gets up to 300. It is still a pistol bullet with the aerodynamics of a brick, and the speed drops off very quickly. Drag is an inverse square law so doubling the initial speed quadruples the drag. You only have to compare a HV rifle bullet to a 38 swc to see why long range shooting is very much a rifle thing. Another thing to remember is that it's the BASE of the projectile which causes the most drag with a huge vacuum forming behind the bullet in flight pulling it back.

Not to say I wont have another go at the Phoenix this year though!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Good thread, I plan to develop a long range .357 for my Ruger 77/357. The SAAMI chamber is long enough to fit a decent length bullet, provided I use it as a single shot rifle (the mag is too short otherwise). Everything to be pre-checked in Quickload, and slowly worked up with a chrono of course.

I think I'd need jacketed so I was looking at resizing a 35 calibre bullet using a Lee resizing die, but the first problem is finding something with a decent balistics coefficient which is neither too heavy or too long. Have a look here: http://35cal.com/bullets.html

The bigger problem for me is that I can't have expanding bullets

Quote Originally Posted by -Pete- View Post

The bigger problem for me is that I can't have expanding bullets
    That problem should disappear shortly, I believe.
    I still prefer cast!

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    That problem should disappear shortly, I believe.
    Why?...

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by -Pete- View Post
    Why?...
    It seems as if the law is going to change with regard to expanding projectiles being classed as section 5 items in their own right.

A long overdue and very sensible move.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

It is silly cause you can get bullet and drill hole in the end

boff180 Guest
    Just thought I'd update this little project.

Finally managed to acquire some H110 and some Small Pistol Magnum primers, the latter being quite hard to find.

I chose to use loading data from my Lyman 49th Edition over Hogdon's own, the Lyman data listed higher velocities however I must stress their max charge is much more than Hogdons.

Because the 1873 has a weak action I borrowed the club Ruger 77/357 for this round of tests, it's very light and has a horrid heavy trigger so its accuracy potential is limited.

Unfortunately I cannot give you any velocity data as the club Chrono doesn't like to work when in dull British skies so wouldn't read the round passing through it!

Anyway results.... I've been convinced an 1885 Low Wall in 357 magnum is the way to go. From the "crack" when the rounds found their target I'm happy the loads are staying out of the transonic region at 100m, I did get one reading off the lower charge of 1625fps, must of been a bright patch!

I tried two loads, 16.3grn and 17grn (Lyman Max), the 17grn seemed to give the better group. The latter holding the 9 ring on a PL7 target. The groups on the former were slightly larger.

Obviously the cost of this ammunition will be more to produce, my local RFD does FMJ 158grn bullets for £10/100 and I'll only get around 411 rounds out of a tub of H110.
    Excluding cases (which I have plenty of) a load for this new gun will cost me around £0.23 a shot. My current .357 target load at 50m costs me £0.14 a shot and I get 1500 rounds out of a tub of N320. I will however save on the time, expense and hassle on having to acquire kit for yet another calibre which will make it all worth it.

I hope this little project has been of interest to someone, now to save for my new gun. I hope to order/acquire it in the next 12 months or so... will update this thread when I finally get it and find out what it can do at 100m.

Ta

Andy

Have you thought about a 357 maximum?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Remington_Maximum
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

boff180 Guest
    Yes however as far as I am aware neither Uberti or Pedersoli produce an 1885 high/low wall in 357max

I'd just like to add a little to this thread.

Of the top four people that shot in the 5702. 100y/200y/300y GRCF competition at this years Phoenix 3 of the 4 shot using Balzer .357 mag 158gr JHP rounds in the gold and blue box, at about 1650 fps. That's the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th placed shooters and with only 5 points separating the top 4 shooters with scores of 107, 105, 103, and 102.

No reloading allowed over here in Ireland so we have to use factory ammo.
    =================================

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_S View Post
    It is silly cause you can get bullet and drill hole in the end
    Sure you can.

Then you would be in possession of a Section 5 bullet and illegal possession of even ONE can land you in the deepest doo-doo imaginable, until HMtQ signs her assent on the revised Act, that is.

Don't let us stop you though, it's a free choice, right?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by clive_J View Post
    I'd just like to add a little to this thread.

Of the top four people that shot in the 5702. 100y/200y/300y GRCF competition at this years Phoenix 3 of the 4 shot using Balzer .357 mag 158gr JHP rounds in the gold and blue box, at about 1650 fps. That's the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th placed shooters and with only 5 points separating the top 4 shooters with scores of 107, 105, 103, and 102.

No reloading allowed over here in Ireland so we have to use factory ammo.
    Mornin', Clive.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by boff180 View Post
    Yes however as far as I am aware neither Uberti or Pedersoli produce an 1885 high/low wall in 357max
    It would be a Low Wall, and you are right. What a sweet gun that would be, eh? I have an Uberti High Wall is .45-70 Govt - it's the most graceful-looking long arm I've ever clapped eyes on.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Mornin', Clive.

tac
    Mr. Foley, We can't keep meeting like this.......
    =================================

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Sure you can.

Then you would be in possession of a Section 5 bullet and illegal possession of even ONE can land you in the deepest doo-doo imaginable, until HMtQ signs her assent on the revised Act, that is.

Don't let us stop you though, it's a free choice, right?

tac

Think you can get tool in the US that will let you do it to a loaded round
    I am happy with the 180Gr TC I use in my Rugger 77/357

Thanks
    Simon
    Last edited by Simon_S; 29-12-2016 at 11:48 AM.