Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steyr LP1 -best pellets?

Over the years I have owned and shot several LP1 and LP1P match pistols and have found with all of them that the pellets that give the best and most consistent grouping are the RWS Meisterkugeln and RWS R10 - both in pistol weight.

As the excellent thread on pellets "4.49 or 4.50" suggests, there is no perceptable difference in using 4.49 or 4.50 sizes so whatever of these two types you choose as the results will be the same in the LP1 or LP1P match pistols.

Both types of pellet are of "premium" quality - but the Meisterkugeln are a little less expensive and are well worth a try as they will save you a few pounds with every sleeve you buy
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    90 sounds good as I'm only just hovering over the 57 (Heinz!)

I've listened and read and gone the conservative route with a small order of 5 tins of Rws R10 light 4.50. I figure for the price of a cup of coffee extra per tin, ( I'm guessing, since I'm normally too tight to buy a coffee) that I would rather blame me than a possible flyer due to pellets. Will let you know how I get on!
    May not be the pellets... Three of us have lp1 or lp10 and all get good results from Hobbys.

Not the pellets ? What on earth are you insinuating ! Outrageous defamation!
    If I get better than 57 with the R10s at the weekend then it's definitely the pellets not me.
    I'm predicting somewhere between 58 and 65.
    Only one way from here!

I have never got good results with Hobbies in my LP1. But then again I have never shot Hobbies through it. RWS Basics (£2.35 a tin from EB-y) can hold the 9 ring if I am on form though.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Lundy,

Get yourself some 6 yard or 10M paper targets, and a target holder / pellet catcher.

Stand the correct distance away (you should have thought about that before you ordered the scale distance target cards), from the target at the correct height, and adjust lighting to suit.

Shoot five (or if you're really mean, ten), at each card. While you try to remember all the technical tips from Tenrings' pdfs (or other info), and try to do the same thing every shot, while at the same time trying not to 'learn' any bad habits into your technique.

If you can get some coaching early on, that's likely a big help over the bad habits.

You need to shoot cards to record your own progress, and to help diagnose your errors, and to plan for sight adjustments.

And don't look for something to blame (like your pellets), before you've even gotten started.

Wadcutter pellets as recommended above, are what you want. Domed, pointed, or any other type of stupid pellets are not.

A wise man once told me: Match target shooting is a war of attrition.

I've added: If you enjoy it, you're a warrior!

HTH.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    Not the pellets ? What on earth are you insinuating ! Outrageous defamation!
    If I get better than 57 with the R10s at the weekend then it's definitely the pellets not me.
    I'm predicting somewhere between 58 and 65.
    Only one way from here!
    You said you were starting out. There's a lot to learn and get automatically fixed in your head so that it becomes second nature.
    Stance, Hold, Breathing AAAAANNNND the trigger. If you're consciously determining when the shot is released you're not doing it right. Get some advice preferably face to face before you have to do what I did and unlearn years of bad habits.

Enjoy your gun.

How do you work the scores out ? I've been shooting 10 shots at each target while practising. Should it be six ? Also, on my 10m targets the seem to be ten rings and a pellet sized circle ...

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    How do you work the scores out ? I've been shooting 10 shots at each target while practising. Should it be six ? Also, on my 10m targets the seem to be ten rings and a pellet sized circle ...
    I usually shoot 10 per card. Some cards have an extra inner 10 ring like you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    The inner extra circle is called the x ring.
    It's used in some comps for determining the winner when scores are high and equal.
    So shooter x scores 95 with 3 x's and shooter y scores 95 with 4 x's. shooter y wins.
    J
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

Thanks for that So in practise should I normally shoot six cards with ten shots on each and score out of six hundred ? I think that's right Also, if a shot cuts a line, is it scored lower or higher ?
    Last edited by mikehill; 02-11-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Higher.

Some great advice coming through, none of it wasted and all listened to. Genuinely grateful. I've learned so much already. The power of the forum!

Target holder already arrived today and hopefully 10m targets tomorrow.

Tenrings tip sheets all read and absorbed. Think I might make a simple crib sheet for case lid to remind me until second nature.

It's uprising how difficult follow through is. Dry firing is helping me on this as you can concentrate more on the after than before.

Aldo have meeting booked next week with local club pistol captain

Let's see how I get on at the weekend-I will let you know! ( if it's not less than 57)