Thread: October was a good month: a Haenel 28R and a Targ-Aire Pistol pickup.

October was a good month: a Haenel 28R and a Targ-Aire Pistol pickup.

I started seriously collecting air pistols when I retire a year and a half ago. One of my first purchases was a in the box, as new, Hy-score 800. I became interested in collecting these early blued spring piston pistols that were made to look like firearms. The Hy-score's history showed it came from a study of several earlier pistols but the firearm look was influenced by the Haenel 28. The Targ-Aire is more of a mystery. It actually went into production in 1947 a year earlier than the Hy-score. Maybe the only milled blued spring powered American entry. Lasted only a couple of years. I was amazed to score a great Haenel 28R example and just got a new in the box example of the Targ-Aire. Will do a future write up on the Targ-Aire but it is fun to see them together. They are all the same length, similar Luger style?, and so well made. I can probably surmise that the Hy-score quickly killed the Targ-Aire. Coming out at about the same time, Hy-score was destine to sell 250,000? over the next two decades. Being stamped metal it must have been a fraction of the production cost of the Targ-Aire, and it was an excellent pistol. Love having collected the group. Trevor Adams did a nice write up on the Targ-aire, but it still seems such a mystery? Who designed it, seems to have no patents, though the ratcheting backstrap cocking seems unique, but probably not unique enough to patent?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psjxnnpsc9.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps6tsmka99.jpg
    Last edited by 45flint; 31-10-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Patent is no mystery-check out Mr Winslow's thoughts attached

Your the man! Thanks much for the reference. My bad for not seeing it at the end of your write up on your site. Looks like a patent for appearance and form not function? I assume that all elements had been used before? Cool to have the inventor and patent. I have been lubricating mine and early shots indicate very good power in 22 for the design. Epecially compared to the Haenel 28 which this pistol seems to superceed. The owner said he only shot it to test it when he originally bought it new. It's almost like going back to 1948 in a time machine.

Interesting it's really the Winslow air pistol.
    Last edited by 45flint; 31-10-2016 at 09:36 PM.

Trevor, my pistol is a .22 rifled barrel. Was this pistol ever made in .177? Looked in the Airgun Digest Blue Book and it does say it was available in .177. Maybe another obscure gun to look for. I am near Illinois where the gun was manufactured so this may be one time where being in the US actually helps. Would be interested to know what this pistol sold for in 1948? I know the Hy-Score was $19 in that time period.
    Last edited by 45flint; 31-10-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Targ aire

hi,I understand they were only .22-stand to be corrected though!
    As far as I can see Mr W patented the 'ornamental design'....how it looks? Sounds dodgy....
    My early one has a humungous ridged piston,I'll see if I can find a picture.
    regards,
    http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...hzyjs.jpg.html

Trev
    Last edited by trevor1; 01-11-2016 at 02:12 AM.

It is one substantial pistol, the heaviest of the three. Tube huge compared to the Hy-score.
    Last edited by 45flint; 31-10-2016 at 10:14 PM.