Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power of 22 cal vs 177 cal.

Power of 22 cal vs 177 cal.

If you have two pistols a 22 cal. heavier pellet traveling at slower speed and a lighter 177 cal. traveling at a higher speed. If we put each into a calculator and the foot pounds of energy is equal. Would they be of equal stopping power or is the 22 with more surface area superior?

Stopping power? From a sub-6 ft/lb air pistol? Are you for real? Please tell me this is purely hypothetical and you're not thinking of shooting at quarry with one...

Theory only or going for a insect?

The energy is the same they are both 6lb at the muzzle.
    the diameter would effect the transfer of that energy into the target with the smaller diameter giving more penetrative force and the larger diameter giving the same energy but spread over a wider area. Then there is weight v gravity so the smaller pellet will fly flat for a greater distance

There is something in the old saying
    .25 for rats
    . 22 for fur
    .177 for feather

The heavier pellet will have greater momentum and retain it's energy better...

It's not about shock, it's not about wound channel it's about penetration

If you are going for a heart shot it's all about shock and wound channel size. If you are going for the central nervous system (CNS) it's all about placement and penetration. In my humble opinion sub 12ft air rifles should be about wrecking the CNS with pin point close range shots. If you want to do anything else then you need more power so for me it's either a .177 air rifle, .22 rim-fire or silenced .410. The number one priority should be clean kills not cheap kills.

Paul

This is a bit like the old .45 acp versus the 9mm.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Stopping power? From a sub-6 ft/lb air pistol? Are you for real? Please tell me this is purely hypothetical and you're not thinking of shooting at quarry with one...
    Exactly.

And I hope we're not talking hunting with an air pistol, folks??

As I see it, for plinking, the .22 pellet will have greater momentum and therefore will have a more "animating" effect on tin cans and the like.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Airgun gear show on the Tube did a velocity/energy comparison between .177 and .22 from muzzle to 50 metres. Quite informative if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Exactly.

And I hope we're not talking hunting with an air pistol, folks??

As I see it, for plinking, the .22 pellet will have greater momentum and therefore will have a more "animating" effect on tin cans and the like.
    Good thought, question wasn't a hunting one but more theory. Yours is a practical example of the positives of a larger pellet in plinking, which ultimately will be its use.

Good man.

And I've always found that the lightweight, flat head Hobby in .22 excels as a pistol pellet.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Good man.

And I've always found that the lightweight, flat head Hobby in .22 excels as a pistol pellet.
    What I have been using, seems to really smack the target.

Here's the link

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Airgun gear show on the Tube did a velocity/energy comparison between .177 and .22 from muzzle to 50 metres. Quite informative if you can find it.
    Youtube Link

Cool

.22" air pistols are rather satisfying on cans and other targets that fall, jump, or wobble when hit. (So are .177" wadcutters loaded the wrong way round. Ah, that takes me back to my youth.)

.177" is cheaper, and that's an issue if you are putting a lot of shots downrange, e.g. with CO2 repeaters (where often there is no option other than .177" available anyway). And if you want to go much beyond 10M, the flatter trajectory is quite handy.

If you shoot target cards (I do, I'm very boring), there is a velocity threshold below which you get rips, not nice round holes. It's something like 340-360 fps muzzle velocity for a card set at 10M. Which a lot of the less powerful .22"s are under. For example, the factory figures with an unspecified pellet for a Webley Senior were 416fps (oddly precise) in .177", 330 in .22". Premier 350/310. Tempest/Hurricane 420/330.

So for me, under 3 ft/lbs, .177", over 4 ft/lbs, .22". Between 3 and 4, either. Or .20".

Moving up the power range, there is something quite special about, say, a BSA Scorpion in .22" rather than .177". Bang, clang, repeat.

Actually, you've given me a great idea - BSA Scorpion rebarreled to .25".

I think Geezers got it.