Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CP99 accuracy

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

CP99 accuracy

Just got one cheap - I quite like it actually. Feels well put togther, nice enough on both single and DA.

But the accuracy was quite crap.. 4-5" groups @ 10 yards. I removed the barrel and gave it a larger lead in, as I figured such extreme innacuracy could only be due to misalignment, and things did improve a good bit, down to around 2.5" groups (and a more even dispersion). Not sure I want to go further though. Using JSB exacts (I tried loads, they were the best)

Any tips / ideas ? What should it achieve ? It's good enough for what I bought it for - fast fire tin can bashing - but I can't help but think it could be better.

Also the signts appear fixed, non adjustable - is the rearsight glued on ? Might just need to make a new "mask" blade to overlay - it shoots low, so that would actaully work quite well, i.e. lift the rear up.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Try 6 yards.
    Umarex pistols tend to struggle a bit at 10.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Try 6 yards.
    you are no use
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

and by comparison, 40 year old crosman 38T revelover is shooting 2" groups right off the bat; haven't even cleaned the barrel or tested any other pellets...

That's progress for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Try 6 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    you are no use
    Agreed. The S&W revolver is the only Umarex that can just about hold the black (a couple of inches C to C), at 10M.

Look at practical pistol shooting (available in most countries other than here).

They shoot at huge steel plates about four foot wide, from about five yards away. And they have at least 850 FPS (.45ACP) to play with.

You want to be shooting at the doors of a barn with a Umarex. But watch out for rebounds!

I'm going to rebarrel and "accurize" it just to prove you lot wrong

Just need a spare barrel assy...

The rear sight has some limited windage adjustment - two screws on the underside accessible when the slide is pulled back. Wonder if the rear sight can be removed and shimmed upwards (longer screws) for a higher point of aim?

I would try and pin down the problem - I would try shooting a group, from a firm rested position, just using the same magazine chamber, single loaded to eliminate misalignment problems. Try shooting one from each cylinder in turn into a bucket of water and inspect the pellets, see if there's any side shaving. Poke a pellet through the barrel from the muzzle end, look for rough spots, check the crown with an eyeglass. There's no real reason these pistols shouldn't be passably accurate.

Something is wrong with that. All of my Umarexes, including a 99, shoot everything inside the 7 ring on a 10M target.

Thanks all... I agree it should be better.

As said, it's at about 2.5 inches now, so passable, but will try single mag chamber loading, or direct loading (and then using an empty mag), etc etc.

Even if the barrel was smoothbore, 2" at 10 yards should be easy enough.

Thanks also for the rearsight info...

Think there is a thread on here somewhere (IIRC by MarcRG) which addresses problems on Umerex 8 shot pistols by shimming the barrel within the faux slide. I have a C1911 and B92fs which are not great in terms of elevation. Suspect shimming the barrel may resolve that.

I have one and it's pretty dire as a target pistol, but didn't think they were anything more than a plinker!

I would say the main issue is the trigger, it's very easy to pull it offline with the trigger pull being the way it is.

I agree with that James.

Modern BB versions of the 1911 are often more accurate than the Umarex one as you dont have the Rotary pull.
    They are certainly more fun.

I think the Umarex Smith is the best of them -especially in 8 inch.
    But plenty of shooters dont like this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Think there is a thread on here somewhere (IIRC by MarcRG) which addresses problems on Umerex 8 shot pistols by shimming the barrel within the faux slide. I have a C1911 and B92fs which are not great in terms of elevation. Suspect shimming the barrel may resolve that.
    Actually the thread by Marc.RG1 HERE was related to the BB version of the C1911, it was shooting to one side. Nevertheless, the barrel alignment might be something to check on.

As mentioned above, the trigger (and a short sight base) does not lend the CP99 to great accuracy.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 05-11-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added second para.