Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CP99 accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I agree with that James.

Modern BB versions of the 1911 are often more accurate than the Umarex one as you dont have the Rotary pull.
    They are certainly more fun.

I think the Umarex Smith is the best of them -especially in 8 inch.
    But plenty of shooters dont like this gun.
    I think that the S&W revolver is one of the best made and one of the best to shoot only spoilt by the grip its much to long I could never get on with it.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    test today - loading the pellets singly straight into the barrel (very fiddly) amd resting elbows on beanbag @ 10 yards

2 x 5 shots 1" c-c not bad

so slightly tidied the lead in I opened up earlier and used the mag
    5 shots 1.25" and 1.5" c-c also not too bad

Adjusted the windage on the rearsight by loosening the screws underneath . now sorted.

Elevation I might either shim the barrel or reduce the foresight 1-2mm as it's 3" out

So not too bad now. When I find a spare barrel assy I will make a new barrel for it.. should be fairly trivial, as the crown on the existing one is a bit crap. will make it 1/2" longer too.

Plenty good enough for can bashing
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    test today - loading the pellets singly straight into the barrel (very fiddly) amd resting elbows on beanbag @ 10 yards

2 x 5 shots 1" c-c not bad

so slightly tidied the lead in I opened up earlier and used the mag
    5 shots 1.25" and 1.5" c-c also not too bad

Adjusted the windage on the rearsight by loosening the screws underneath . now sorted.

Elevation I might either shim the barrel or reduce the foresight 1-2mm as it's 3" out

So not too bad now. When I find a spare barrel assy I will make a new barrel for it.. should be fairly trivial, as the crown on the existing one is a bit crap. will make it 1/2" longer too.

Plenty good enough for can bashing
    That sounds much better - glad to hear you have sorted it.

As well as the poor trigger, the 99 does itself no favours in the sight department either, having great big blocky things about twice the size they ought to be. And the windage adjustment is far too fiddly.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    As well as the poor trigger, the 99 does itself no favours in the sight department either, having great big blocky things about twice the size they ought to be. And the windage adjustment is far too fiddly.
    very true - I'm looking through the spares box to find something adjustable and compact enough to graft on... or I may just glue on a thin metal sheet "mask" to the rear, and file the foresight down.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    ....I think the Umarex Smith is the best of them -especially in 8 inch....
    Ditto for the 586, although I have not tried the 586-8...yet