Thread: A good all round starter Pistol

A good all round starter Pistol

Hello all,

As the title suggests I am looking for a good all rounder. Primarily used for target shooting so accuracy is a must. I'm a springer fan too so not afraid of the gun being hold sensitive.

My research so far has turned up the "Weihrauch HW45" which looks like a very serious bit of kit. I had hoped to find something for closer to the £200 mark but if paying the extra will make a massive difference in quality then i would probably opt for that.

So the questions are:
    Any experience with the HW45 or opinions on the gun?
    What are some good alternatives?

I am completely new to the pistol shooting game so any advice you can give will be very gratefully received!

All the best,
    Dan

If you like the idea of a springer, but with much less recoil, then I'd recommend a FWB 65 or 80. Old, but superbly engineered and extremely accurate. Was the Olympic standard for years and can be got from £160 upwards. I'd never think of selling mine, it's that good

Interesting! I'm going to have a look into that one. Thanks for the tip, comes in under price too! excellent. got some reading to do now

Thanks Mike.

Dan

Don't forget the Orginal mod5 to mod10 pistols, they are also good. and some models are recoilless as well.
    Also the Walther LP53 or Predom pistols or even a Webley Typhoon.
    The HW45 is a well built solid pistol but can be hard to master. The FWB65/80/90 is a great pistol but you will be lucky to get a good one for less than £225. In my opinion the 80/90 is better than the 65 as they have a better trigger.
    If you are good with recoil then any classic style Webley pistol they are better built than a hw45.
    There are also some cracking SSP pistols as well.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

As a newbie you might struggle a bit with the 45 which also requires stamina to cock.

I agree with Mr Hill and the Original 6 and 10 M are good too.

HW 40 might be a good start.

And there is one in Sales for £90.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    Don't forget the Orginal mod5 to mod10 pistols, they are also good. and some models are recoilless as well.
    Also the Walther LP53 or Predom pistols or even a Webley Typhoon.
    The HW45 is a well built solid pistol but can be hard to master. The FWB65/80/90 is a great pistol but you will be lucky to get a good one for less than £225. In my opinion the 80/90 is better than the 65 as they have a better trigger.
    If you are good with recoil then any classic style Webley pistol they are better built than a hw45.
    There are also some cracking SSP pistols as well.
    I hear what your saying. the HW45 gets lots of great reviews and is clearly a good bit of kit but might be something for me to graduate to at a later date if i fancy it. Going to check out those other recommendations and do some homework.

Thanks very much for the advice!

I do find it hard to resist a good deal...

I should get access to the sales section soon so will check that one out as soon as I am able.

I'm having a look at the original's now too.

Thanks very much for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    As a newbie you might struggle a bit with the 45 which also requires stamina to cock.

I agree with Mr Hill and the Original 6 and 10 M are good too.

HW 40 might be a good start.

And there is one in Sales for £90.

target: lp6/10
    plinker: lp5, daisy 717/747, cometa indian...
    dunno the hw45, theyre illegal here
    ATB,
    yana

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. I have plenty of homework to do now... Lots of youtube videos to watch and reviews to read!

So far the HW40 for £90 seems almost too tempting to pass up on so might keep my fingers crossed that it is still there when i am allowed access.

Those FWB pistols look incredible too so might have to earmark that for the future as a pistol to graduate to (unless i see one for an amazing deal of course).

Thanks again for all the input, it is very much appreciated.

Another vote for the FWB65 or 80. The Original 'Giss' systems pistols can have trouble with barrel alignment. Ive seen a few with up swept or down swept barrel.

Welcome aboard Dan.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Dan. I'm planning to get a HW45 - it's on my Xmas list. But if you really want accuracy and only want to have one pistol then look out for a secondhand FAS 604. I have one of these and it's superb.

I shoot in the UBC competitions - ssp class, CO2 class ('precision') and the Police Pistol class (with a 1911). I want a HW45 so I can also shoot in the springer class next season.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

Lots of good advice here. The HW70 is also worth a look.

There are few good Spring pistols made these days, since the rise in popularity of CO2 guns. It does mean there are good second-hand guns to be had at good value prices, like the Webley Hurricane, BSA Scorpion, Diana 5, etc.

If you're open to a CO2 powered pistol then have a look at the Lov 21. It's light, accurate and has the look of an Eastern European semi-auto if that floats any of your fleet. It's also less than £100!