Thread: Interesting article for .22H reloaders

Interesting article for .22H reloaders

Was scouring the net to find data for 30 gr Berger varmints in the hornet, or even if they'd stabilise.

I came across this very informative article, worth a read for those interesting in getting the most out of the little cartridge......

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/en...on-winter-2012
    Thanks for looking

That's pretty content rich Boydy. Very informative. Interesting that Lil Gun didn't come out on top.

I've got some H110 left at home that I might have to revisit. Didn't try it with the 40gr V-Max.

At the time, I had a quick look on the Hodgdon reloading webpage and Lil Gun appeared to be pushing the V-Max faster.

He is well over the book max load of 11.2gr if his advice is to use 14gr - 15gr so I'd proceed with caution.

I'm not sure whether I'd even fit that amount of powder in my cases unless it's a much finer powder than Lil Gun. Also, I wonder how that load would affect brass longevity. H110 seems to have much higher pressure than Lil Gun
    Last edited by Elliott; 05-11-2016 at 07:33 AM.

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    That's pretty content rich Boydy. Very informative. Interesting that Lil Gun didn't come out on top.

I've got some H110 left at home that I might have to revisit. Didn't try it with the 40gr V-Max.

At the time, I had a quick look on the Hodgdon reloading webpage and Lil Gun appeared to be pushing the V-Max faster.

He is well over the book max load of 11.2gr if his advice is to use 14gr - 15gr so I'd proceed with caution.

I'm not sure whether I'd even fit that amount of powder in my cases unless it's a much finer powder than Lil Gun. Also, I wonder how that load would affect brass longevity. H110 seems to have much higher pressure than Lil Gun
    He's working with the mythical rem brass that I have a couple of hundred of but hints at win perhaps being better brass. He is looking at pushing the hornet to its limits but he suggests the reductions to be made for different brass, COALs and for increased brass life all in all quite handy!

I was about to buy another tub of lilgun but I think I may try some h110 I want to try a couple of loads in the .357 anyway!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Was scouring the net to find data for 30 gr Berger varmints in the hornet, or even if they'd stabilise.

I came across this very informative article, worth a read for those interesting in getting the most out of the little cartridge......

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/en...on-winter-2012
    Some of that performance is outstanding.
    3400fps from a 40gn bullet is astonishing and not far behind a 223.

Very impressive indeed. I'm only getting 3,000fps using 12.5gr of Lil Gun and that's close to having a full case.

Think I'll invest in some new Winchester brass and buy a neck sizing die to see if the capacity of the cases increase after firing. I'll then get experimenting with H110

I comfortably load 13.3gn lilgun in rem brass with 35gn vmax in my cz 527

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    Some of that performance is outstanding.
    3400fps from a 40gn bullet is astonishing and not far behind a 223.
    He says in the article he's getting better performance than factory .222, with 25 grains of exterminator in my .223 I was only getting 3450 fps.

I think I'll be getting some h110 before we have our hornet gay off mate!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    I comfortably load 13.3gn lilgun in rem brass with 35gn vmax in my cz 527
    Rem brass does give noticeably more capacity than other head stamps, my last lot of test loads I got up to 14 gr no issues with capacity, pistol primers didn't like it though reading the article that may be more to do with the power of the firing pin on the CZ527 than anything
    Thanks for looking

Anyone know where to source Remmy brass for the Hornet?

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    He says in the article he's getting better performance than factory .222, with 25 grains of exterminator in my .223 I was only getting 3450 fps.

I think I'll be getting some h110 before we have our hornet gay off mate!
    His pressures must be sky high to get those velocities and he could probably make a 223 into frickin laser beam! He makes Gav's reloading efforts look quite conservative.
    I see that AA1680 doesn't cut the mustard in 22 Hornet, but it is amazing in my 17 Hornet. I can get 20gn bullets to 3900fps and 25gn to 3500fps with wrecking the brass or my face, though the loads are wildly over book max.
    I only ever got to 3570fps with a 40gn out of my 223 and thought that was pretty hot. I must try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    His pressures must be sky high to get those velocities and he could probably make a 223 into frickin laser beam! He makes Gav's reloading efforts look quite conservative.
    I see that AA1680 doesn't cut the mustard in 22 Hornet, but it is amazing in my 17 Hornet. I can get 20gn bullets to 3900fps and 25gn to 3500fps with wrecking the brass or my face, though the loads are wildly over book max.
    I only ever got to 3570fps with a 40gn out of my 223 and thought that was pretty hot. I must try harder.
    Just as well as you've got such a pretty face, unlike Gav!

The loads must be heavily compressed as he's filling the case and seating some pretty long (for hornet) bullets, but then he's using soft and thin pistol primers without real issues which surely would fail?

Either way I'll not be trying to get 15 gr of H110 in there but if I can get the 30 gr bergers or Barnes up around 3500 and a plastic tipped 40 gr at 3200 I'll be a happy chappy.

As for .223 my 40 gr load is an SBK over 27 gr of exterminator and a fed 205m, this is giving 3650 over the chrono and just over 1/2 moa at 100, no obvious pressure signs (close to max so needs working up to anyone reading this). Interested to see what it does at 300 as the previous 25 gr load did 3/4 at 100 and 1 moa at 300, 6" drop.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Anyone know where to source Remmy brass for the Hornet?
    Well I bought a box of factory 45gn sp's that had been gathering dust in the back of a cupboard, they shot very well too.

Just remembered a load of cases I got off Allan, sure enough loads of rem's (but all K's) I'll have to see what I can get in them

There's also a short article on hornet loading in the Dec Shooting Sports magazine, but not worth especially buying the mag for.

Just did a quick check with my K cases filled to the brim with lil-gun, S&B hold 14.2gn, Hornady hold 15gn, Frontera hold 15.5gn, Rem hold 16gn - I wasn't expecting such variation
    Last edited by angrybear; 05-11-2016 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well I bought a box of factory 45gn sp's that had been gathering dust in the back of a cupboard, they shot very well too.

Just remembered a load of cases I got off Allan, sure enough loads of rem's (but all K's) I'll have to see what I can get in them

There's also a short article on hornet loading in the Dec Shooting Sports magazine, but not worth especially buying the mag for.

Just did a quick check with my K cases filled to the brim with lil-gun, S&B hold 14.2gn, Hornady hold 15gn, Frontera hold 15.5gn, Rem hold 16gn - I wasn't expecting such variation
    Yeah you get huge variation, I have to rezero when switching between batches of ammo loaded in hornady (frontera) / win / PPU brass as the difference in pressure causes a change in POI. I do wish rem brass was easier to get hold of!

The S&B capacity is handy to know, looks like a good candidate for a reduced load
    Thanks for looking