Thread: foxing rounds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    If you want to get something more suitable for .223Rem than Vihtavuori N140, there are a couple of us here who would delight in taking it off you in return only for money.

tac
    Well according to Vihtavouhri it's not a bad choice giving as good if not better velocity for 55 gr bullets than the other powders they list, works well under 69grainers too

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...remington.html
    Thanks for looking

Loads

I ran out of varget so carried on using n140 in my 223. Very similar burn ratios on some comparison charts. It shot very accurately & made a noise, but was not the most efficient powder for the bullet weight I was using (53s). I now am on n133 in the 223 & keep the n140 for the 308. I get more velocity from less powder in the 223 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Well according to Vihtavouhri it's not a bad choice giving as good if not better velocity for 55 gr bullets than the other powders they list, works well under 69grainers too

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...remington.html
    Don't know about a 22/250 but for 223, N140 is good for bullets of 60gr or heavier, but a little too slow burning for anything much lighter where N133 makes a better choice. I use N140 for 69gr 223's (which print ragged one hole groups) and N133 for 60gr V-max and 55gr SGK. Get much better velocities for a lower charge with the N133 and no compression of the load.

Quote Originally Posted by VarmLR View Post
    Don't know about a 22/250 but for 223, N140 is good for bullets of 60gr or heavier, but a little too slow burning for anything much lighter where N133 makes a better choice. I use N140 for 69gr 223's (which print ragged one hole groups) and N133 for 60gr V-max and 55gr SGK. Get much better velocities for a lower charge with the N133 and no compression of the load.
    I hear what you're saying but a better case fill or even a compressed load from a higher charge can surely lead to more consistency as there's less space for the propellant to move around differently? Don't know.

I use it under 69 gr TMKs too, for 52/55 gr bullets I use TAC and for 40s I use exterminator. May have to change that soon though as no one knows when any is coming in!
    Thanks for looking