Thread: Webley Pistols-

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webley Pistols-

Haven't done a lot of shooting with my pistols since March, due to arm problems. As the frozen shoulder seems to have defrosted, over the weekend thought I'd give them some exercise. There's a Senior .22, Premier .22, 3 Hurricanes two in .22 & a Tempest. All in reasonable nick, & fitted with those lovely walnut grips from a gent on here.
    As I haven't really used them for nearly a year, I wasn't expecting pellet on pellet*. Set up targets at 6 yards. With one exception, barn door comes to mind, or even barn. I wasn't aiming to hit the bull, just getting some groups to start with.
    A beermat size was the best group,(shame on me) apart from one of the .22 Hurricanes. That was closer to a 2p piece. It was shot about halfway through the tests, so it's not down to 'getting my eye in'.
    The only factor I can think of is that this early Hurricane I have had from nearly new (think I paid £25 for it, mint & boxed, shows how long ago it was!), & have got used to it's individual foibles. The others I have bought over the last three or so years. Anyway, my groups with the others are now improving, but still nowhere near as good as the 'old' Hurricane.
    Any thoughts?

Bru
    *ps Not that I could do pellet on pellet even with my Model 6!
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I have over the years had a Typhoon, a Hurricane, a Tempest, a post-war Mk1 and a post-war Senior. My conclusions:

1. Webleys are inconsistent. Some shoot really well, some not. My current Hurricane and Tempest were probably made on the same machines at roughly the same time by the same set of people. The Hurri could pass almost muster as an entry-level match pistol at 10M. The Tempest can barely hit a coke can with every shot at the same distance.

2. Webleys are really really sensitive to technique, especially hold. I had a plink one-handed with my Senior a couple of weeks ago and shot very well. I tried it two-handed the other evening and I was all over the shop.

3. Though I don't have enough experience to judge, I have a hunch that they are more accurate in .177" than .22".

Update

Thanks, Geezer, & also Grrr for the pms.
    I'm now trying to concentrate on one pistol at a time, experimenting with holds etc. Still getting the best results with the Hurricane I've had for well over 20 years.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Its funny how some people like .177 and other people go for the .22 it always seems to me that over 7m a .22 webley pistol is better than a .177 having said that over 10m it is the other way around as the .22 does tend to drop after 7m I would love to have a webley premior pistol in .22 that would shoot out to 20m but I am afraid that is just wishfull thinking.

Hello

I tend to find my Webley's (an '80's .177 Tempest & a .177 '50's Junior), quite sensitive to how I hold them.

I'm pretty inexperienced at this airpistol malarkey (& this forum), so not much to compare with, but my grip does seem to make a difference to how the shot turns out.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Folks,

I have a late-ish Brum 0.22 Tempest that I 'rescued' with some TLC and elbow grease. One of the mechanical tweaks I did was to reduce the trigger spring by a couple of coils and the other was to fit some PTFE shims at each end of the spring. All other mating surfaces inside were polished and lubed with high load grease, it now shoots as smooth as the proverbial, but my goodness, it is as hold sensitive as hell!
    It generally seems to twist up and to the right if I hold it lightly, but with lots of experimenting, I have found that I can get POA = POI when I pinch the top of the grip with the web between thumb and index finger, this is with a one handed hold.
    Not what I have found with all the other pistols I have had, but this is my only springer, and not a recommended method, but it works for me!

Cheers, Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?