Thread: Webley Pistols-

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Folks,

I have a late-ish Brum 0.22 Tempest that I 'rescued' with some TLC and elbow grease. One of the mechanical tweaks I did was to reduce the trigger spring by a couple of coils and the other was to fit some PTFE shims at each end of the spring. All other mating surfaces inside were polished and lubed with high load grease, it now shoots as smooth as the proverbial, but my goodness, it is as hold sensitive as hell!
    It generally seems to twist up and to the right if I hold it lightly, but with lots of experimenting, I have found that I can get POA = POI when I pinch the top of the grip with the web between thumb and index finger, this is with a one handed hold.
    Not what I have found with all the other pistols I have had, but this is my only springer, and not a recommended method, but it works for me!

Cheers, Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I've a tempest and a nemesis in .22 Love them both.

Recently got a .177 barrel for my nemeses from a nice gent on here. Couldn't hit a thing with the .177, just couldn't get used to it. Wierd as it was the same gun I've had for twenty years.

Rick.

I

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    When it comes to accuracy, there seems to be no rhyme or reason with Webleys. I have a .22 Tempest which shoots really well right out to 20 yards. A 177 Mk1 I used to own was the same, but my .177 Hurricane's trigger is really heavy, even at its lowest setting, and that means it's hard to get good results with it much past 6 yards. I also have a Premier which seems to be mid way between the two extremes.
    No matter which model you use, though; Webleys are very intolerant of lapses in technique. Get it even a liitle bit wrong and you'll be digging a pellet out f the shed door instead of emptying it out of the pellet catcher!
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Is there much difference in how the gun "feels" when shooting a .22 vs a .177 ? I ask as I have the .177 Tempest but whilst on my travels I saw a .22 Tempest for sale & wondered if it was worth bothering with?

Forgive the potentially daft question - I'm new here & have never fired anything apart from .177's

Ta

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Is there much difference in how the gun "feels" when shooting a .22 vs a .177 ? I ask as I have the .177 Tempest but whilst on my travels I saw a .22 Tempest for sale & wondered if it was worth bothering with?

Forgive the potentially daft question - I'm new here & have never fired anything apart from .177's

Ta

Dave
    I've got both calibers and cannot tell the difference in "feel" when firing them. I find this applies to all of my Webleys as I have various examples - Premiers, Seniors and Mk1s in both sizes.

Aiming as distances increase is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I've got both calibers and cannot tell the difference in "feel" when firing them. I find this applies to all of my Webleys as I have various examples - Premiers, Seniors and Mk1s in both sizes.

Aiming as distances increase is a different matter.
    Nor can I, but I appear to be pretty insensitive to recoil levels.

What I do know, on a statistically irrelevant sample if the four I currently own, is that the Webley with which I have shot best groups is a .177". The second best is a .177". The other two are .22"s, and are markedly less good.

You could argue this is in some way a function of 5.6mm bores and modern ammo. But my .22" BSA Scorpion is really accurate with modern ammo....

So, as above, my hunch is they are often better in .177". But it is only a hunch. Proof would require a thousand pistols to be fired at length by Olympic-level shooters over a sustained period.

That's good to know thanks for that. I'll look to get a Hurricane (or other Webley) in .22 rather than a Tempest as at least it'll be different looking.

Ah, a BSA Scorpion there were a couple of those being sold by an airgun dealer at a Militaria show a couple of weeks ago & for some dumb reason I didn't get one (they're beasts !) Been kicking myself ever since

Dave