Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
That's good to know thanks for that. I'll look to get a Hurricane (or other Webley) in .22 rather than a Tempest as at least it'll be different looking.

Ah, a BSA Scorpion there were a couple of those being sold by an airgun dealer at a Militaria show a couple of weeks ago & for some dumb reason I didn't get one (they're beasts !) Been kicking myself ever since

Dave
Ive had many Webleys but never got any to shoot anywhere close to my Walther Lp53s after years of practice with both gun types.
While the Hurricane can do a little better due to longer sight base and more accurate adjustment, my groups have never been better than about 1.5 inches off hand at 10 yards.
The rest of the models closer to 2 inches owing to a flier here and there but most of my club compadres not quite so good.
For comparison the similar spring power of the Walther gives me 1/2inch to 3/4 inch groups depending on how well im shooting.
The Walther is mentioned as having a difficult upward recoil but it can be mastered.
The gun is highly consistant and the trigger perfect. Once mastered its deadly but i have never been able to fully master the Webley.
Heres why.
The rearward travelling piston was often quoted as being ideal as it sends all the recoil straight toward the hand. This is true but its the secondary recoil in springers that is hardest to control.
Here, Scorpions and such like get their secondary recoil toward the hand after the initial jump forward, but thr Webley is opposite.
Thus most shooters will out shoot a Webley with Scorpions, Original 5 s etc.
The Walthers secondary recoil is strangely none existant as it comes down through the gun after the initial iump upwards but is very easily controlled in the hand.