Thread: Morini grip paste - worth the money?

Morini grip paste - worth the money?

Evening looking to modify the grip on my Morini 162. I have used a wood filler before to shape my Fwb 65 grip which cost me about £7 per tub and seemed to do the job. However I've notice both Morini and Rink make a grip modelling paste but it's quite expensive in comparison!
    Is there much/any benefit over standard filler?
    Currently I have the trigger set as far forwards as possible but my finger can still reach too far around it and I want to try and resolve the issue - Rink offer a grip with 5mm extra volume which I'm also looking at, but I don't really want to spend that kinda money if modelling paste on my current large grip could sort it. I guess the other option is to sell my current grip whilst is still in mint condition and that'd help fund the step up to Rink. Don't suppose there is anyone that offers a grip fitting service? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Grip fitting service

Iqbal Ubhi the U.K. Importer of Morini offers a grip fitting service at his home in Birmingham.

The Morini grip paste does offer a close match to the wood and will also take a stain and can be stippled so with a little work can be made to look original (I have pistol OCD ) if that dosnt matter to you ronseal all weather does the job for about a quarter of the price, use a 2 part mix as water based fillers can go messy in the summer when your hands start sweating!!

I normally use blue tac to start with, it holds shape surprisingly well and can be added/removed loads of times until you get an idea of where permanent filler needs adding, even Rink grips may require some fitting to be spot on as we all have different shaped hands that both swell and shrink according to temperature, make changes gradually with small adjustments at a time giving plenty of test shots between any modifications, the ten rings site has some good info. There's a lot of satisfaction when you do get it right and have that perfect fit.
    Last edited by nige346; 12-11-2016 at 01:37 PM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Morini grip paste is a polyester resin with a thickener + colour.
    Davids Isopon P38 is basically the same without the colour.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Is there a paste that is easy to totally remove when you decide to change it, leaving little or no residue ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Is there a paste that is easy to totally remove when you decide to change it, leaving little or no residue ?
    Cover the grip in a single layer of cling film, add the paste until your happy with the fit, remove the filler and cling film, you can now reattach the perfectly fitting filler parts with some silicon, when you no longer want them on the grip you can simply pull them off, I've done this on a couple of pistols to great effect. My Morini grip modifications however are permanent cos I'm keeping it for ever

And yes, Ronseal all weather, P38 and a number of other fillers are all pretty much the same constitution as Morini grip paste, I paid £35 for the Morini paste and when recieved noticed the lable was added over printing, I done the obvious thing and removed the label, underneth was a tin of Sprint wood filler

Not available as a uk product but available in Europe and guess what!!! Yep, so much cheaper without the Morini label, so bear in mind if you do buy Morini filler that about £20 of the price is for the label, it's a good product but is basically just normal 2 part wood filler.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Thanks for that Nige, great idea !

Car filler (polyester) type is easy to remove , warm it till it goes soft and it should peel off , obviously if to warm it will catch 🔥, but so will wood !
    Regards
    James

Does exactly what it says on the tin

Ronseal two part high-performance wood filler, about £7 from the usual diy sheds.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Many favour Milliput epoxy in the colour terracotta, two "sausages" of goop that you take a slice off and knead to mix. Sands beautifully and you can "pop" off when you wish as most grips are treated with wood oil when new, so stops most things sticking at the molecular level. I've had to pop the stuff off when I've over done it many times / changed my mind. Keeps in the fridge well and extends it's shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Many favour Milliput epoxy in the colour terracotta, two "sausages" of goop that you take a slice off and knead to mix. Sands beautifully and you can "pop" off when you wish as most grips are treated with wood oil when new, so stops most things sticking at the molecular level. I've had to pop the stuff off when I've over done it many times / changed my mind. Keeps in the fridge well and extends it's shelf life.
    Milliput Terracotta gets my vote too!

Easy to use and can be shaped and worked like clay and made as smooth as glass before it is set by wiping it over with a wet finger and yet when set it is very strong and wear resistant.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.