Thread: It's so difficult but addictive!

It's so difficult but addictive!

I'm fairly new to 10m pistol shooting and it's so frustrating but also so satisfying.
    Today I achieved a 45 on one card and on the next card I scored a 29.
    I wish I could achieve some sort of consitsancy but if it was so easy I don't think it would be so addictive.

I've recently given up rifles for pistols and it's the best thing I could of done Been four times to the range and am averaging 45 now. Get a good book or look at tenrings website for tips. I just got a used copy of "Succesful Pistol Shooting" for £3.50 delivered ... bargain and a useful book
    What pistol you got ?

Read - ask - watch and practice, practice, practice
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Read - ask - watch and practice, practice, practice
    I was shooting next to you yesterday Ian, I'm the ugly one with the plaster on my head. My shooting has improved after the advice you gave me a few weeks ago.
    The trouble is, I keep going back to the rifle range.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 13-11-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    I've recently given up rifles for pistols and it's the best thing I could of done Been four times to the range and am averaging 45 now. Get a good book or look at tenrings website for tips. I just got a used copy of "Succesful Pistol Shooting" for £3.50 delivered ... bargain and a useful book
    What pistol you got ?
    With being a cack hander I wanted to go for an ambi' so I could share it with my daughter. I decided on an Alfa Proj which is more accurate than I think I'll ever be. If I do improve massively I will be on the lookout for a decent left hooker but that's a long way off, if ever.

Avoid LH pistols unless you are going to keep it forever

Are there many left handed pistol shooters out there?

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Avoid LH pistols unless you are going to keep it forever

Are there many left handed pistol shooters out there?
    I've only recently got into pistols but I've found although I'm a left-handed rifle shooter, I'm a right-handed pistol shooter Left eye dominant.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I'm fairly new to 10m pistol shooting and it's so frustrating but also so satisfying.
    Today I achieved a 45 on one card and on the next card I scored a 29.
    I wish I could achieve some sort of consitsancy but if it was so easy I don't think it would be so addictive.
    Agreed, I go about 4 times a week. All about practice and especially getting the trigger release right. Now I have a pretty good idea of what is a good shot before I look at the target. I know if the shot release coincided with a good aim or whether the gun was wandering.
    If your not sure why some of your well aimed shots are flyers, it's probably your trigger release.
    Enjoy.

If you don't do it already have a go at the Umarex Boys Club comps - link on this board. A great way to practice - not just for single shot pistols but multi-shot too if you have one.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

The thing that put me of doing pistol shooting for more than just fun plinking was one day I was really good and could make good shots one after another and a couple of days no mater how hard I tried tight grip loose grip nothing seemed to work I could improve if I shot every day but I just do not want to do that and so as I said I just have a plink every now and then sometimes I am good and some times I am rubish but hell its fun and if I have a bad day then I just stop.

Are pistols as pellet sensitive as rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    The thing that put me of doing pistol shooting for more than just fun plinking was one day I was really good and could make good shots one after another and a couple of days no mater how hard I tried tight grip loose grip nothing seemed to work I could improve if I shot every day but I just do not want to do that and so as I said I just have a plink every now and then sometimes I am good and some times I am rubish but hell its fun and if I have a bad day then I just stop.
    You hit the right word - FUN. Maybe some do like to practice every day (gets a bit boring) most, like me I suspect don't. I tend to shoot once a month for the UBC competitions and that's it. I have great fun doing those and that's what it's all about. Some months I do quite well, others it's mediocre but it really doesn't matter
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78