Thread: Browning Air Star Electric .177.

Browning Air Star Electric .177.

Just returned from Ciney Arms & militaria fair in Belgium, not a lot of stuff for air gun collectors odd pellet tins one Webley
    green oblong tin which i bought for 5euro,and a number of Diana and cheap foreign guns at silly prices.But i did have a look
    at a as new Browning air star electric .177.Without a box or any instructions and no charging unit,just the gun itself.the price was 180 euro, i talked the seller into 160 euro and said i would think about it. would it work, i dont know without the charger i did not risk it.Later in the day it was gone.i wonder if i should have bought it for 160e.about £146.i will never know But what a great day out From 7am to 4pm I was worn out revived by belgium beer 6.5% great stuff.
    Roly.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Roly, although l already have one of these, l would have bought it at that price, l think they where over £500 when they came out. and not many were sold so quite a rare gun, so a real collectors gun. l seem to remember that someone said that you could charge them with another type of charger other than the original one, but l can't remember which type they said as it was quite a few years ago.

Thumbs up

I think a friend of mine has one, Boxed with charger and batteries!!

He's on here too although he could have sold it as it was a couple of years ago since I saw it!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Whilst they were initially very expensive when they were introduced, it was not long before Surrey Guns were trying to sell off the last 100 for £150 each. They made such a racket when being cocked they were a commercial disaster. No point in buying one without all the accessories even if cheap. They may well become a sought after collectable eventually but that day has yet to arrive and complete 'kits' seem to sell for around the £200 mark if mint.

Roly as slug-gun suggests, you probably had a lucky escape in not buying it! The idea of having a motor compressing a spring isn't so outlandish - ie. the idea of mixing electronics and airguns seems quite normal these days. But battery/motor technology just wasn't advanced enough at the time, I think.

There seems to be a lot of hardly-used examples of this model around, complete and boxed, which is never a good sign.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    A very much loved rifle by some collectors. The looks on everyone's face as I start mine up is pure jealousy.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    The looks on everyone's face as I start mine up is pure jealousy.

Dave
    You sure about that, Dave?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

air star

[QUOTE=Garvin;7114867]Roly as slug-gun suggests, you probably had a lucky escape in not buying it! The idea of having a motor compressing a spring isn't so outlandish - ie. the idea of mixing electronics and airguns seems quite normal these days. But battery/motor technology just wasn't advanced enough at the time, I think.

There seems to be a lot of hardly-used examples of this model around, complete and boxed, which is never a good sign. [/Q

Thank you all i feel better already. Roly.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    l still stand by my reply that l would have bought it, as l think they will become collectable, because they are unique. but when that will be is anybodys guess.
    does anybody know how many where made.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    You sure about that, Dave?
    Absolutely tone, seeing the joy in all those shiney faces makes my day. I'm leaving it at home this time round though. Don't want to spoil everyone.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

browning airstar

Any browning air star around today will unlikely work with its original ni-cad battery, batteries just deteriorate over time but all is not lost . The airstar will work with most 7.2v Rc battery packs, but you might need the modern charger to go with it and you will need to remove the battery from the stock for charging. Originally you could leave the battery in the stock and plug the charger into the bottom of the grip. For some reason the new Rc packs will not charge in my experience in this way. Browning used to quote 200 shots per charge, if this was ever true you can expect more from a modern battery.
    I don't know where you are but if your local I would gladly show you one working which has all the bits (boxed) They often get slated by people who have never owned one but one of my favourite fun guns.
    CM

I have to admit I had never heard of this rifle until this thread.

Just watched a video on YouTube showing the rifle in action -- quite an interesting "fun" gun even with all those whirring Rowland Emett machine like noises and the bright red light!

I think if I could pick up a cheap one, I'd see what I could do to upgrade the motor and batteries and smooth out the gearing and linkages. Wouldn't it be great to turn up at the bash with one that cocked in, say, one second and with no appreciable noise?!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I think if I could pick up a cheap one, I'd see what I could do to upgrade the motor and batteries and smooth out the gearing and linkages. Wouldn't it be great to turn up at the bash with one that cocked in, say, one second and with no appreciable noise?!

A brushless outrunner 3100kv motor with a 4s lipo through a 35a controller would do it!

It'd still be cack though!
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Made by Rutten for Browning.
    Belgian firm so you saw it on home ground.

Rutten also made the Winstar a nice looking gun with a Winchester style cocking lever underneath.
    They thought it a good idea to put part of the trigger mechanism in the cocking lever.

Can you guess what happens when you close the cocking lever children?