Thread: Some experiments and fiddling with a 45

Some experiments and fiddling with a 45

I've just embarked on stripping my unmodified .177 HW45 to degrease, deburr and reassemble with non-combustible lubricants. (While it's in bits if anyone would like any measurements taking of any internal components please let me know.) I've owned the pistol from new and it has fired around 1000 pellets in this time.

An update on my 45 fettling.

The original pistol, untouched, was producing the following ftlbs energy
    Superdome 4.37 +/- 0.12
    JSB exacts 4.90 +/- 0.17
    R10 (7gn) 4.85 +/- 0.09

After stripping, deburr, selective polish and relube with dryslide etc
    JSB exacts 5.00 +/- 0.10

Next the spring guide was reversed (opposite end to factory fitment)
    JSB exact 4.66 +/- 0.19
    It was noticeably smoother to cock which I put down to the spring not buckling as being supported along its full length. Power was down 0.34 ftlbs and recoil was subjectively lower.

Pistol was now stripped and a new, custom airseals piston seal was fitted, unmodified and the spring guide returned to the original position inside the piston. After 50+ shots the following powers were measured.
    JSB exact 5.56 +/- 0.20
    R10 (7gn) 5.44 +/- 0.09

Final mods were to size the new piston seal to be an easy sliding fit in the cylinder, added a thin steel piston liner and a 1mm thick washer inside the piston for the spring to seat on and retain the piston liner. As good power was being made with the previous tests I decided to assemble with the spring guide reversed to give the smoother cocking and recoil characteristics. Another 50+ shots were fired and the following powers were measured.
    JSB exact (8.44gn) 5.28 +/- 0.15 (532 ft/s)
    R10 (7gn) 5.15 +/- 0.05 (575 ft/s)
    Mosquito express (7.9gn) 5.27 +/- 0.07 (548 ft/s)
    FTT green (5.5gn) 4.82 +/- 0.15 (628 ft/s)

I'm now very happy with the refinement and power levels of the 45 and see no point in taking the testing any further. The power will almost certainly increase further if the final setup were to have the spring guide fitted back in the original position, possibly around 5.6+ ftlbs but at the expense of refinement.

For reference, the original components weighed in at:
    piston and original seal = 102.3g
    spring guide = 22.3g
    spring = 54.3g
    original seal = 3.0g
    new custom seal = 1.6g
    new piston liner = 2.7g
    new steel piston washer = 1.3g
    Last edited by sevorg; 24-11-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Updated with measurements

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    I just bought one of these so that was very interesting - thanks
    Mark

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by throdgrain View Post
    I just bought one of these so that was very interesting - thanks
    If you fancy some fun relaxed, non-competitive club shooting in a nice bit of woodland give me a shout!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Many thanks Sevorg

After reading your post, I am very tempted to upgrade mine in the same way. I never thought about fitting a Custom airseal.
    Are these Custom airseals piston seals really that good?
    My HW45 is now 24years old and a new spring is required. Would you know of a good one? Thinking of a Konceptus spring

Cheers, Bruno

Is that one of those seals that is advertised as having a parachute groove?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno27 View Post
    Many thanks Sevorg

After reading your post, I am very tempted to upgrade mine in the same way. I never thought about fitting a Custom airseal.
    Are these Custom airseals piston seals really that good?
    My HW45 is now 24years old and a new spring is required. Would you know of a good one? Thinking of a Konceptus spring

Cheers, Bruno
    Hi Bruno,

The original seals are not bad but I think the custom ones are superior and I found it easier to adjust the fit of the latter. The custom ones also claim to have moly in them.

Spring wise I kept the manufacturers as mine has not had a lot of use. Not come across Konceptus, but Airgunner.177 said he has a titan xs in one of his and the original spring makes more power.

Hope this helps

Tom