Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC machining

CNC machining

does anyone on here have a small CNC lathe for making parts for black powder guns ,just a thought that there may be a keen machinist wanting a project for the winter

CA Models machined a part for my semi automatic shotgun, worth looking up!

Why CNC?

Yes why CNC

Why?

Because these days, it's easy and comparatively cheap to do it on a hobby lathe.

I do many small bits and pieces for my trains on a forty-y/o Unimat SL - ie. a Stone-age hobby lathe. But being able to punch a bunch of co-ordinates into a reader and watch while your lathe/mill/whatever does it all for you has a certain appeal.

Especially of interest is the fact that it really isn't much more expense to add it to your [modern] lathe than getting another costy accessory for it. I had recourse to going around a number of precision engineer shops in the last year or so, trying to get a reasonable price and failed dismally in an effort to replicate the Ruger Old Army base pin/cylinder pin, which has an inherent weak point in the design. If I had ready access to the material, and carbide tools, I would have been able to make one for myself, but I had good interest and might have sold at east ten to folks here who had also had the bl**dy thing bent by clumsy reloading. As it turned out, the cheapest provider wanted £60+VAT EACH.

A skilled amateur may well be able to make a few in return for a reasonable recompense, rather than taking the pi$$.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Why?

Because these days, it's easy and comparatively cheap to do it on a hobby lathe.

I do many small bits and pieces for my trains on a forty-y/o Unimat SL - ie. a Stone-age hobby lathe. But being able to punch a bunch of co-ordinates into a reader and watch while your lathe/mill/whatever does it all for you has a certain appeal.

Especially of interest is the fact that it really isn't much more expense to add it to your [modern] lathe than getting another costy accessory for it. I had recourse to going around a number of precision engineer shops in the last year or so, trying to get a reasonable price and failed dismally in an effort to replicate the Ruger Old Army base pin/cylinder pin, which has an inherent weak point in the design. If I had ready access to the material, and carbide tools, I would have been able to make one for myself, but I had good interest and might have sold at east ten to folks here who had also had the bl**dy thing bent by clumsy reloading. As it turned out, the cheapest provider wanted £60+VAT EACH.

A skilled amateur may well be able to make a few in return for a reasonable recompense, rather than taking the pi$$.

tac
    Absolutley right. With a CNC lathe any number of parts can be turned out and they will be all the same.

As suggested a model shop might do the part, but, I would be inclined to find a model engineering club because the members who turn out live steam locos and other scaled down models are very skilled.

It's not just a case of punching in some co-ordinates into a computer attached to a milling machine, I did a lathe and milling corse at college, the cnc corse involved some prity advanced programming and the use of auto cad program's as well, it's the equiverlent of a nvq level 3.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

For £60 you can pick up a brand new Clarke hobby lathe from a machine discount shop and make any small part you are able. Lathe probably won't be all that precise though.

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    It's not just a case of punching in some co-ordinates into a computer attached to a milling machine, I did a lathe and milling corse at college, the cnc corse involved some prity advanced programming and the use of auto cad program's as well, it's the equiverlent of a nvq level 3.
    Should have done the basic English writing course instead.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Absolutley right. With a CNC lathe any number of parts can be turned out and they will be all the same.

As suggested a model shop might do the part, but, I would be inclined to find a model engineering club because the members who turn out live steam locos and other scaled down models are very skilled.
    Uh, that's what I do [see Youtube tac's trains]. But I only have a small lathe, as I mentioned in my post and it would be a real PITA to make ten of the parts I mentioned.

tac

Should have done the basic English writing course instead.

tac
    Beleve it or not, I was the only one in that class that wasn't required to do an additional English or maths course
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    For £60 you can pick up a brand new Clarke hobby lathe from a machine discount shop and make any small part you are able. Lathe probably won't be all that precise though.
    hi,thats a good price,i have tried machine mart type sites etc and cant find one near that price,could you pass on the name of a shop or details,thanks, mb

Quote Originally Posted by martin bingham View Post
    hi,thats a good price,i have tried machine mart type sites etc and cant find one near that price,could you pass on the name of a shop or details,thanks, mb
    Me neither. I'm guessing that a zero was omitted from the price.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Beleve it or not, I was the only one in that class that wasn't required to do an additional English or maths course
    Hah.

tac

Me neither. I'm guessing that a zero was omitted from the price.

tac
    thanks