Thread: CNC machining

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CNC machining

does anyone on here have a small CNC lathe for making parts for black powder guns ,just a thought that there may be a keen machinist wanting a project for the winter

CA Models machined a part for my semi automatic shotgun, worth looking up!

Why CNC?

Yes why CNC

Why?

Because these days, it's easy and comparatively cheap to do it on a hobby lathe.

I do many small bits and pieces for my trains on a forty-y/o Unimat SL - ie. a Stone-age hobby lathe. But being able to punch a bunch of co-ordinates into a reader and watch while your lathe/mill/whatever does it all for you has a certain appeal.

Especially of interest is the fact that it really isn't much more expense to add it to your [modern] lathe than getting another costy accessory for it. I had recourse to going around a number of precision engineer shops in the last year or so, trying to get a reasonable price and failed dismally in an effort to replicate the Ruger Old Army base pin/cylinder pin, which has an inherent weak point in the design. If I had ready access to the material, and carbide tools, I would have been able to make one for myself, but I had good interest and might have sold at east ten to folks here who had also had the bl**dy thing bent by clumsy reloading. As it turned out, the cheapest provider wanted £60+VAT EACH.

A skilled amateur may well be able to make a few in return for a reasonable recompense, rather than taking the pi$$.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Why?

Because these days, it's easy and comparatively cheap to do it on a hobby lathe.

I do many small bits and pieces for my trains on a forty-y/o Unimat SL - ie. a Stone-age hobby lathe. But being able to punch a bunch of co-ordinates into a reader and watch while your lathe/mill/whatever does it all for you has a certain appeal.

Especially of interest is the fact that it really isn't much more expense to add it to your [modern] lathe than getting another costy accessory for it. I had recourse to going around a number of precision engineer shops in the last year or so, trying to get a reasonable price and failed dismally in an effort to replicate the Ruger Old Army base pin/cylinder pin, which has an inherent weak point in the design. If I had ready access to the material, and carbide tools, I would have been able to make one for myself, but I had good interest and might have sold at east ten to folks here who had also had the bl**dy thing bent by clumsy reloading. As it turned out, the cheapest provider wanted £60+VAT EACH.

A skilled amateur may well be able to make a few in return for a reasonable recompense, rather than taking the pi$$.

tac
    Absolutley right. With a CNC lathe any number of parts can be turned out and they will be all the same.

As suggested a model shop might do the part, but, I would be inclined to find a model engineering club because the members who turn out live steam locos and other scaled down models are very skilled.