Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Collecting

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I dont understand why you buy things that you know are crap.
    I suppose they are cheap.
    Maybe you think that you will find a really good Zip pistol?
    You wont!
    I say this in a caring way.
    Your concern is appreiated, but there is a cunnng plan. cheap = easily damaged and disposed of = eventually rare and unusual in any decent condition. Besides, I am intrigurd by the whole concept of the evolution of design,Relums or Chinese underlevers for e.g., and the challenge of trying to do something useful with them. or maybe i am just nuts....

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    I dont understand why you buy things that you know are crap.
    I suppose they are cheap.
    Maybe you think that you will find a really good Zip pistol?
    You wont!
    I say this in a caring way.
    Your concern is appreiated, but there is a cunnng plan. cheap = easily damaged and disposed of = eventually rare and unusual in any decent condition. Besides, I am intrigurd by the whole concept of the evolution of design,Relums or Chinese underlevers for e.g., and the challenge of trying to do something useful with them. or maybe i am just nuts....

All Collectors are a bit nuts.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    All Collectors are a bit nuts.
    I sympathise with our friend, as it all depends on one's motivation for collecting. Obviously your own motivation is quality and performance, for others it might be academic interest. I am of the latter persuasion and have an interest in any springer pistol and its history, ranging from the ‘crappiest’ Gat-type to the recoilless match pistols, from two hundred year old gallery pistols to yesterday’s Chinese import. This means that condition of a pistol is not always important, as long as it is original and complete. So after 40 years of collecting I have over 300 pistols, covering 200 years and 15 countries, and I am still looking for items, although I must admit that things have slowed down quite a bit now. I do like to shoot my guns and analyse their performance, but most of all I like to take them apart and admire the variety of mechanisms that have been developed over the centuries.

It also means that I do not have more than one example of any specific type, and I have never really been able to understand why one would want more than one example of the same item in a collection. But that is just me. This has helped in my collecting, as it has allowed me to use duplicates of such rarities as Tell 3, Tell 2, Titans, Warriors, Parker, air canes and even the Webley Mark 1 rifle, as swaps in order to expand my collection, and keep the costs down to quite a reasonable level.

It's also worth remembering that it is the crappier items that get thrown away first, so in hundred years or so Zips could be rarer than Webley pistols and fetch ten times the price!
    Last edited by ccdjg; 26-11-2016 at 05:10 PM.