Thread: Diana 22 breach seal ?

Diana 22 breach seal ?

Does anyone know what Diana intended for breach seal replacement on this tinplate kids rifle ? Just repaired this 22 which had no power, found the small Gem spring is a perfect fit and thought it would shoot well. After re-assembling and testing found the pellets would not even penetrate cardboard. Nearly all the air was blasting out at the breach, and I found the breach has no flexible seal, just a brass face against the steel face of the barrel. Decided to cut a shallow channel in the brass face, believe it or not using a centering wood drill so I get a flat base in the channel. De-greased and filled channel with Tigerseal, left 24 hours. Next day had a nice flexible seal on the breach. On testing the pellet now penetrates three eigths inch into pine. Originally did they intend the brass insert to be replaced, if at all ?

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Does anyone know what Diana intended for breach seal replacement on this tinplate kids rifle ? Just repaired this 22 which had no power, found the small Gem spring is a perfect fit and thought it would shoot well. After re-assembling and testing found the pellets would not even penetrate cardboard. Nearly all the air was blasting out at the breach, and I found the breach has no flexible seal, just a brass face against the steel face of the barrel. Decided to cut a shallow channel in the brass face, believe it or not using a centering wood drill so I get a flat base in the channel. De-greased and filled channel with Tigerseal, left 24 hours. Next day had a nice flexible seal on the breach. On testing the pellet now penetrates three eigths inch into pine. Originally did they intend the brass insert to be replaced, if at all ?

Baz

The seal is on the cylinder side. It is the same with the Webley Junior/Ranger etc. I think they are quite thin but easy to knock up with a bit of leather.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    The seal is on the cylinder side. It is the same with the Webley Junior/Ranger etc. I think they are quite thin but easy to knock up with a bit of leather.
    If you read my post you will see there is just a smooth flat brass face on the cylinder side, that is why I had to machine a shallow groove to put a seal in. There was nowhere to locate a seal. I never use leather as that is old material they used at the time, there are better materials to use today for giving a better airtight seal.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    If you read my post you will see there is just a smooth flat brass face on the cylinder side, that is why I had to machine a shallow groove to put a seal in. There was nowhere to locate a seal. I never use leather as that is old material they used at the time, there are better materials to use today for giving a better airtight seal.

Baz
    Sorry Baz--I thought the first pic was the "before" pic and not the "after". I've seen a dozen or so of these rifles, both Diana and Webley versions and all have the recess for the washer. Maybe someone fitted a brass insert thinking it would seal better?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"